6.5 prc enough gun for elk

The key argument to your post is your very own statement…….Hunted elk all my life and have 30+ bulls I've sent to elk heaven

Those that have the opportunity to hunt elk every season ….also have the ability to carefully choose our shots and/or pass at anytime! To the person that may only get one opportunity for an elk, possibly handing out a lot of cash……he should use all of the tools available! Having a larger bore cartridge, and using a well constructed bullet …..simply improves the hunters odds by offering more opportunities for taking the shot! JMO. memtb
If he shoots are larger cartridge well yes, if he doesn't no. I also said "to each his own" -

6.5 PRC is very capable of dispatching elk. It's an endless argument "bigger is better" - sometimes it's ok to agree to disagree. Like you, JMO.

Over the decades, countless elk have been killed with 270's, 25-06's, 260's, 280's, etc, and we have a couple of lady friends who take their elk every year with 243's. Granted, proper bullets and shot placement are required, but that can be said for larger bores also. I've seen larger magnum calibers placed in a bad area that resulted in a lot of tracking, multiple shots and a couple of losses.

Thus, the 6.5PRC as a cartridge is very capable. The rest is up to you.

If he shoots are larger cartridge well yes, if he doesn't no. I also said "to each his own" -

6.5 PRC is very capable of dispatching elk. It's an endless argument "bigger is better" - sometimes it's ok to agree to disagree. Like you, JMO.

For most ……shooting a larger, more powerful cartridge is not a real challenge. Especially with the wide use and availability of muzzle brakes. True, the hunter may shoot the more powerful rifle/cartridge less than smaller cartridges……but, the fundamentals of proper shooting are exactly the same! There is essentially zero excuse for a hunter's inability to shoot any practical hunting rifle quite well! Again JMO! 😉 memtb

Over the decades, countless elk have been killed with 270's, 25-06's, 260's, 280's, etc, and we have a couple of lady friends who take their elk every year with 243's. Granted, proper bullets and shot placement are required, but that can be said for larger bores also. I've seen larger magnum calibers placed in a bad area that resulted in a lot of tracking, multiple shots and a couple of losses.

Thus, the 6.5PRC as a cartridge is very capable. The rest is up to you.

I suspect that a poorly placed shot from one of the smaller cartridge/calibers will also produce a wounded animal! 🤔
It's the hunter's responsibility to place the shot…..no matter the cartridge!

My wife has killed elk with a .243 Win. and several with a 270 Win. Yes, it can be and is done every year……but she will never advocate their use on elk!

She's merely a woman with near 50 years of hunting experience and has witnessed the benefits of using a somewhat larger bore, more powerful cartridge. Yes, it took her about a year to become comfortable and proficient with her hunting rifle, used now for all of her hunting the past 23 years. She is a strong proponent of using the best, practical tool for the job.

You can dig a pond with a shovel from Ace Hardware…..but a "track-hoe" is a lot more practical! 😁 😉 memtb

Last edited:
I suspect that a poorly placed shot from one of the smaller cartridge/calibers will also produce a wounded animal!
It's the hunter's responsibility to place the shot…..no matter the cartridge! memtb

While I agree, the op asked if the 6.5PRC would be sufficient for elk, as it is the largest caliber he possesses.
Since I also hunt with a 260AI, I feel the 6.5PRC, as a cartridge, is quite capable.

I have hunted elk using 45, 44, 35, 338, 30, 270, 6.5, 257, and 6mm calibers, so I really have no issues with caliber choice.

Ok the largest caliber I now own is 6.5prc … considering doing an elk hunt for the first time . Would I be better suited doing a 7prc or possibly even 300prc … I've never left the Hawaiian islands to hunt before so I'm thinking a 300prc might be a bit much on axis deer and pigs after… I chosen those calibers due to inherent accuracy of cartridges, I'll be using factory ammo as supplies for reloading suck here. Thanks
Personal preference is a .338 Win Mag for elk, or 300WM…..they don't go far when hit

While I don't have any personal experience with anything 6.5mm, I will say this, every outfitter/guide that I have talked to has been honest and said please do not bring anything 6.5. They've had nothing but problems with wounded animals and people believing they are better marksman, then they really are. They would much rather see hunters show up to camp with the standards, 30-06, 270, 7rm, 300WM, etc. As I've said, I have no personal experience with any 6.5 caliber, this is just what I've been told by many guides.
I can understand that, but you also must consider the people they are talking about. I have a friend who is a guide who has just as many horror stories of guys showing up with RUM's and 300 Weatherby's who were terrified to shoot their guns and made terrible shots with the idea that the bigger bullet would make up for poor shot placement. He would have preferred guys show up with a 243 and confidence than a magnum. It can in many respects come down to the hands weilding the tool. Got a buddy who put his bull elk down last season at 696 yards with a 6,5 PRC and factory Precision Hunter Ammo. My first elk was a spike I shot with a 243 at 500 yards with a 100 grain interlock. Put it where it needed to be and it stood for a few seconds and dropped.

Some hunters would be better served by sticking with classics and what they can actually handle well. Being able to put the bullet where it needs to be trumps all. Also knowing your capabilities and the rifles.

Agree with SDC2, Hunted elk several times. 338 was my favorite. With all the people hunting now, you want something that will put them down. That way you will not have to try and track them down and risk someone else getting them. Saw that happen 3 different times. Big bulls are tough critters.

I have several hunting riles/calibers to choose from. I have an antlerless freezer filler tag this winter. There are 2 6.5 prc's in my safe when I go elk hunting they will still be in the safe. I will opt for something with a little more horse power. If I did not have a choice I would happily take a 6.5 prc elk hunting, and it would get the job done in 90% of the situations I've encountered while elk hunting. And it may get the job done on the remaining 10% but I personally would rather have a little more horse power, if available.

Are jewel hv triggers any good or stick with trigger tech
Another trigger to consider is Timney. I have loved each Timney I have put on my rifles, and they do have a lifetime warranty. My dad was rebarreling my Rem 700 Sendero recently, and had a completely fluke type of accident in his shop and my Timney trigger got busted. He was feeling pretty bad about it, and then he saw they have a lifetime warranty. They are going to fix or replace the trigger. We've been very impressed with them over the years.

Agree with SDC2, Hunted elk several times. 338 was my favorite. With all the people hunting now, you want something that will put them down. That way you will not have to try and track them down and risk someone else getting them. Saw that happen 3 different times. Big bulls are tough critters.

You'll get no argument from my wife! Her .338 WM has been "very, very good"…...for her! 😂

Though being a sexist/misogynist 🙀 that I am …..I won't allow her to use anything else! 😂 memtb

Last edited:
Here it is

Attachments

• 0379855D-3EE9-4C97-9B57-C0D4F73E7F48.jpeg
    0379855D-3EE9-4C97-9B57-C0D4F73E7F48.jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 45
Ok the largest caliber I now own is 6.5prc … considering doing an elk hunt for the first time . Would I be better suited doing a 7prc or possibly even 300prc … I've never left the Hawaiian islands to hunt before so I'm thinking a 300prc might be a bit much on axis deer and pigs after… I chosen those calibers due to inherent accuracy of cartridges, I'll be using factory ammo as supplies for reloading suck here. Thanks

I think you are looking for justification for a new rifle...YUPP you need bigger. Buuutttt why just go 7PRC. If going up go big....if you want a big 7 go 28 Nosler or 7 RUM. Why limit yourself to 67gr when you can have 90:p

Recent Posts