6.5 PRC Ejector Mark - Factory Ammo

The Norma Saum is good brass!....... RICH

I need to just get some, neck turn, and be done. I don't have a lathe but it can't be that hard with a 21st century neck turning lathe and a bushing die. It's dad's gun so not like it's going to get shot like my rifles, but we have 60 pieces of gen 2 hornady and 100pcs of the latest batch

I turn it all the time for the ss with a 21st, no problem.
As little as he shoots it's probably a non issue. I'm planning on a 7 SAUM barrel spun up for my TL3 at some point so i'll likely just use Norma 7 SAUM brass anyway. Thinking i'll want a little more energy on target.

As little as he shoots it's probably a non issue. I'm planning on a 7 SAUM barrel spun up for my TL3 at some point so i'll likely just use Norma 7 SAUM brass anyway. Thinking i'll want a little more energy on target.

Or 7ss with more yet!

No worry on length. 180 is 2.920". That's the beauty! Capacity isn't more, just more efficient and better neck as well.

No worry on length. 180 is 2.920". That's the beauty! Capacity isn't more, just more efficient and better neck as well.
And he's making brass? Or at least converting it? So less powder capacity than the SAUM but i assume stronger design handling higher pressure? 180 at 2.920" like with the boattail right at the body/shoulder junction? Or below that just not compressing?

FWIW..... (this post came out to be a little long and not totally addressing the OP pressure signals)
Have same rifle and caliber. Really like the rifle and cartridge overall. so far +-200 rounds down the tube.
Lapua brass availability would be nice...... Would consider using Nosler as well. Even stronger Hornady formula would work... hint hint... (in case the companies have ears).
Factory Ammo shows no sign of ejector marks after firing, sometimes a very faint swipe mark from the bolt turning; not consistent enough though to note.

Finding that current Virgin Hornady brass fire formed grows +- .010"-.011". the first sign of the bright ring at the case head is evident on every fire formed virgin piece of Hornady brass; both hand loads and factory rounds; although i cannot feel a ridge inside the case with a bent paper clip with the feeling edge that has been sharpened. I have rifles in different calibers that show .007 -.02 growth after first firing of virgin brass (not Hornady brass), no bright ring like am seeing currently though.
The first time reloading this cartridge with new dies; setup resizing die and tightened lock ring; apparently the die moved a little downward when the lock ring was tightened, resized cases resulted in split case heads at the range after firing. That was the day i was looking for the pressure limit signs, firing hotter loads that the day before. The chamber was pretty clean after that ordeal, not a lot of carbon in there or on the cases which was surprising to me. Readjusted dies for very very slight crush fit; all seems well so far, on 4th firing of some of the brass; 143 eldm @ 2950 2.97" c.o.l. seems to be the accuracy node for this one which is 1.5-2 grains under pressure signs of sticky bolt lift and ejector marks. Also noted that after removing all copper and carbon in the barrel, the gun shoots larger groups; they tighten down after 6-12 fouling rounds; just removing carbon does not seem to affect the group size.....

It seemed to take almost 75-100 rounds for the rifle to settle or maybe it took me that long to read the rifle...... not sure. Nice Rifle though; its a shooter out of the box; tiny clover leafs all day with some showing one bullet inside the previous hole at 100 yds. Usually a store bought rifle needs some coaxing; bedding, free floating, adjusting torque of the receiver screws, etc and a tuned load to produce tight groups. The Havak 6.5 PRC just needed a small trigger adjustment and the load tuning step for tight groups. Very happy with it so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.