6.5 PRC Ejector Mark - Factory Ammo

Dukerugger25

I finally got to break in my new bolt action 6.5 PRC last night and to my dismay an ejector swipe / mark was left on every factory round (Hornady 143gr ELD-X). I loaded up 20 rounds with charges of H1000 from 55-57gr using 147gr ELD-M bullets (2.94" OAL) and saw the same marks. Any ideas on where/what to begin looking at, as I know the marks are not from high pressure.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 671
I finally got to break in my new bolt action 6.5 PRC last night and to my dismay an ejector swipe / mark was left on every factory round (Hornady 143gr ELD-X). I loaded up 20 rounds with charges of H1000 from 55-57gr using 147gr ELD-M bullets (2.94" OAL) and saw the same marks. Any ideas on where/what to begin looking at, as I know the marks are not from high pressure.
Good'ol Hornady brass! Start by getting some good brass. Oy ya, Hornady is the only manufacturer!
Sorry you are having problems and I am not trying to be a wise guy. There have been a LOT of problems with Hornady brass. Maybe if everyone gives them an ear full it will change?
Probably the next thing will be blowing the primer, which has happened.
Seriously, I would call Hornady.....rich

Check the bolt face around the ejector.
Dan, thanks for the suggestion. I checked for burrs, notches, etc using a 3x lense and did not see anything. Also, there was not any brass residue or flakes in the bolt head.

The one thing I noticed is that factory unfired ammo headspace is about 0.015" smaller than after the first firing. Could this result in the marks?

You mentioned in your first post that you loaded 20 with h1000 and had the same result. Was this new or fired brass? .015" is a lot of head space! It probably thinned the case wall ahead of the web too. This usually leads to case head separation in a couple more loads.

Last edited:
I've got a 7LRM too so I definitely know the pain about finicky brass. Never seen marks like this though from a soft lot of brass, and in this case it is happening on 2 separate lots, so thought it could be something with the rifle. Hoping it's the brass only

You mentioned in your first post that you loaded 20 with h1000 and had the same result. Was this new or fired brass? .015" is a lot of head space! It probably thinned the case wall ahead of the web too. This usually leads to case head separation in a couple more loads.

New brass was coming in at the lower headspace. New brass was 1.668", fired is 1.682". I just opened a second box of brass and the headspace is 1.678", much closer. No ideas why different. Will work up the load with the 2nd box of brass.

Hspc does not explain the issue with factory ammo however, but I did not measure it's hspc before shooting.

New brass was coming in at the lower headspace. New brass was 1.668", fired is 1.682". I just opened a second box of brass and the headspace is 1.678", much closer. No ideas why different. Will work up the load with the 2nd box of brass.

Hspc does not explain the issue with factory ammo however, but I did not measure it's hspc before shooting.

It could explain the factory ammo if the head space was ,015" on it as well. I would check that if you still have some.
.004" is reasonable for factory brass.

Just soft, i've got the same issues with our some of our SAUM brass but very little primer flow. I've got two firings on it, hope it last 6.

I need to start turning Norma..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts