6.5 PRC 24” or 26” barrel

Aloha,

I just got an email to make my decision on my sons custom build on his old tikka action that had his barrel damaged. I since then bought him another T3X in 270 wsm like he was using and I decided to rebarrel his old action. I will be using a pac-nor barrel in 26" #4 contour fluted or 24" #3 contour but I'm stuck on deciding using a 24" or 26" barrel. The weight is about 5-7 ounces difference... this will be primarily a hunting rifle to pack and shoot the normal under 600 yds but with the option of a 1000+ if the shot presents itself with the right conditions. My question is will the 2" advantage of FPS and added weight justify the outcome I will harness (speed and accuracy)? I don't know if this cartridge responds well to added barrel length, I know some do and some don't. Please excuse my lack of knowledge and I was taught if I dont know them ask. I appreciate any info. Have a nice weekend.... aloha

Kalsey Sr.
I've always opted for longer barrel with slower burning powders. But we have two 6.5 284 shooting 2940 on one 3060 both with 24 inch barrels. One using Retumbo and the other H1000 wlrm primers. The one with retumbo we got over 3000 but 2940 was the sweet spot, h1000 got up to 3160 was a little to hot at 3060 was the sweet spot.

Sc4831 was to hot in those chambers for both those rifles to get the spred we wanted.

So 24 inch in the prc I think would be fine considering it's comparable to those ballistics.

That is impressive. I would have guessed less that 1/3 rd of that!

50fps rise in velocity would be an outlier in my findings but every setup is different. I typically see 15-25fps increases, suppressed vs not.

50fps rise in velocity would be an outlier in my findings but every setup is different. I typically see 15-25fps increases, suppressed vs not.
I'll double check. It was before the barrel sped up and I was playing with powder charge still. My good load without the suppressor was 2768. Added the suppressor and all the sudden I was 2840. I pulled the can and it was showing 2790-2800 and shooting well. I assumed the barrel sped up and I backed the charge down to 2800 and it still shoots well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.