6.5 PRC 24” or 26” barrel

B-LOT Banga

Aloha,

I just got an email to make my decision on my sons custom build on his old tikka action that had his barrel damaged. I since then bought him another T3X in 270 wsm like he was using and I decided to rebarrel his old action. I will be using a pac-nor barrel in 26" #4 contour fluted or 24" #3 contour but I'm stuck on deciding using a 24" or 26" barrel. The weight is about 5-7 ounces difference... this will be primarily a hunting rifle to pack and shoot the normal under 600 yds but with the option of a 1000+ if the shot presents itself with the right conditions. My question is will the 2" advantage of FPS and added weight justify the outcome I will harness (speed and accuracy)? I don't know if this cartridge responds well to added barrel length, I know some do and some don't. Please excuse my lack of knowledge and I was taught if I dont know them ask. I appreciate any info. Have a nice weekend.... aloha

Kalsey Sr.

I will second this as I was about to ask this exact question today in regards to a proof barrel for use with a suppressor. From my research it appears it should only be about 50 FPS difference but I would like to hear from someone who has experience with this cartridge.

Do you have an idea of what bullets you plan to shoot as I know different weights show different gains in velocity with the longer barrel.

I will second this as I was about to ask this exact question today in regards to a proof barrel for use with a suppressor. From my research it appears it should only be about 50 FPS difference but I would like to hear from someone who has experience with this cartridge.

Do you have an idea of what bullets you plan to shoot as I know different weights show different gains in velocity with the longer barrel.

Aloha,

I went hoarder crazy buying a bunch of Berger 6.5 140 hunting vld and hybrids after the loooong back orders was caught up so I will be using trying to use them. I actually hated Berger's before joining this awesome website, but it was my lack of knowledge that made me have bad results. I also have a bunch of 143 eldx that I can use too. That being said I will try both and what ever is promising best I will follow that route.

Aloha,

I just got an email to make my decision on my sons custom build on his old tikka action that had his barrel damaged. I since then bought him another T3X in 270 wsm like he was using and I decided to rebarrel his old action. I will be using a pac-nor barrel in 26" #4 contour fluted or 24" #3 contour but I'm stuck on deciding using a 24" or 26" barrel. The weight is about 5-7 ounces difference... this will be primarily a hunting rifle to pack and shoot the normal under 600 yds but with the option of a 1000+ if the shot presents itself with the right conditions. My question is will the 2" advantage of FPS and added weight justify the outcome I will harness (speed and accuracy)? I don't know if this cartridge responds well to added barrel length, I know some do and some don't. Please excuse my lack of knowledge and I was taught if I dont know them ask. I appreciate any info. Have a nice weekend.... aloha

Kalsey Sr.
B-Lot, I just got my build back from my smith. I went 24" plus side port brake(detachable). The PRC w/ 24" should exceed 3050 w/ 140 Bergers and top 3100 w/ 130-135 class bullets w/ RL26 or VV-N565-560. Barrel node also favors the 24". At least that is what I'm banking on.

Rhett

As Rick stated it's all about how you feel about balance. I built a 6.5 prc on a tikka but went 22 inch barrel plus brake. It's got less than 60 rounds through it and the accuracy is definitely there. I didn't build this to honestly worry about 100 fps

As Rick stated it's all about how you feel about balance. I built a 6.5 prc on a tikka but went 22 inch barrel plus brake. It's got less than 60 rounds through it and the accuracy is definitely there. I didn't build this to honestly worry about 100 fps

Aloha, I understand and respect your decision to build your rifle the way you did. I'm building this rifle to have the best combination to match the 6.5 PRC and take advantage of its full potential. I want to learn as much as I can. Thank you for your input. Aloha

I have a Christensen Mesa in the PRC with a 24" and velocity is very close to advertised. You may gain 20 to 80 FPS with the add of 2" depending on the barrel and that may get you to or above published data, but either way you will not notice it either in the field or on the bench. I am usually one to run a 26" when possible, but for what the PRC is and can be from a hunting perspective, I would stay with the 24" given the option.

I have a Christensen Mesa in the PRC with a 24" and velocity is very close to advertised. You may gain 20 to 80 FPS with the add of 2" depending on the barrel and that may get you to or above published data, but either way you will not notice it either in the field or on the bench. I am usually one to run a 26" when possible, but for what the PRC is and can be from a hunting perspective, I would stay with the 24" given the option.

Aloha, I'm usually a 26" barrel person too. I see majority of the 6.5 PRC rifles in 24" and was wondering if that extra 2" would be worth it. I know some cartridges seem to wake up after a certain barrel length. I have till Monday to send my preferred length so I have some time to think about it. Thanks again for your input. Aloha

Aloha,

Kalsey Sr.

On one of my build, I couldn't decide between 26" or 28", so I went with 27" and called it good. :D

I would personally go with 26", you can always have it cut later "IF" decide to go shorter but not the other way around.

On one of my build, I couldn't decide between 26" or 28", so I went with 27" and called it good. :D

I would personally go with 26", you can always have it cut later "IF" decide to go shorter but not the other way around.

Aloha, I'm my situation I have 2 barrel size options as well as lengths. The 24" would be a #3 contour and the 26" would be a #4 fluted... even fluted the builder said it would be at most 5-7 ounces heavier. I guess my concern is if the extra weight would be worth the extra speed and more heavy thus hopefully being more accurate. But my experience is limited so I'm open to any info and willing to learn. Thank you for your input. Aloha

Aloha, I'm my situation I have 2 barrel size options as well as lengths. The 24" would be a #3 contour and the 26" would be a #4 fluted... even fluted the builder said it would be at most 5-7 ounces heavier. I guess my concern is if the extra weight would be worth the extra speed and more heavy thus hopefully being more accurate. But my experience is limited so I'm open to any info and willing to learn. Thank you for your input. Aloha

It boils down to personal choice/preference, mine was a #6. I also have a #6 contour in 30" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.