6.5 PRC Barrel Questions

Rok1167

I'm working on a 6.5 PRC. I'd love some feedback on a few barrel questions. Really looking for light weight but don't want to sacrifice any accuracy.

I really want a 22" barrel and understand the velocity difference compared to a 24". The question is, is there an accuracy difference between 22" and 24" barrel?

Leaning towards Proof vs Bartlein for weight, but i've read some info about the Proof 4 groove. It seems like there is a lot of positive feedback on the Proof 6.5, so is it really an issue? I'd like the cut rifling, but if a 4 groove is inferior, should Carbon 6 be considered?

Is Sendero Light contour adequate, or is Sendero needed to maximize accuracy? Or does the contour even effect accuracy?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Nothing wrong with 4 groove usually. 5R is common as well. All my Proofs are 5R. Currently, that is 6 Proof barrels.

22" will show no less accuracy than 24".

Proof are lighter than Bartlein.

Sendero Light is plenty, even if running a can.

I will say this. I have had a bad Proof. A 6.5mm 4 groove.

Are you only looking at CF barrels?

If not, Bartlein 2b fluted will give you great weight savings but is stout enough for great accuracy. But the carbons just feel good. I have a few. I would lean toward the Proof if going that route. Carbon Six is great if doing a Remage. Haven't done any of their other prefits.

Yes, carbon only. Maybe narrow minded but for aesthetic if nothing else.

Any thoughts on 8 twist vs 7.5. Berger shows 8 handles 140s but marginal on 157.

Yes, carbon only. Maybe narrow minded but for aesthetic if nothing else.

Any thoughts on 8 twist vs 7.5. Berger shows 8 handles 140s but marginal on 157.
I've been shooting the Berger 156 EOL from a 26in 1:8 Proof Sendero for over 4 years with very good success. I've shot it at 1000 yards up in Utah and hit a milk jug shaped steel with no problems. A 1:8 will handle the heavies but if it makes you feel better get a 1:7. Maybe at sea level and long range the 156 might not be perfectly stabilized...? Don't know because the lowest altitudes I shoot at are around 1900 ft and hunting is 3000 or higher usually.

There really is zero reason to go with any twist besides an 8. You can shoot anything besides the super long monos with the 8.
Agreed. I have both 7.5 and 8 in many barrels and run 156's in a 8 without any issue. Stability factor in 18" 8t is 1.86 and more than enough to do the job.