6.5 PRC 20" Barrel Reload Questions

Hello,

First post. I have been lurking for awhile and really appreciate all the knowledge and information that gets passed around here. I recently bought a Bergara Crest 6.5 PRC with a 20" barrel and have been working on reloads for it. I am limited to COAL of 2.955 as it is magazine fed. Tried H1000 with 142 ABLR and couldn't seem to get them to work. Moved to Berger 140 VLD-H and settled on 57.0 grains of H1000 with Fed 215M primers. Velocity average was 2836 wth ES of 20, SD around 10. 3 shot 100 yard group of .460" At this point, the rifle has 98 rounds down the barrel.

Took 10 rounds to range to verify 100 yard and 200 yard 5 shot groups.

New Lapua brass that was ran through an expander ball for concentric neck tension - Final neck tension was .002 (2nd/3rd fired brass was at .004 - assumed it was because the brass was new)
57.0 grains H1000
Fed 215M primers
COAL 2.950

Shots were taken 90 seconds apart with a 10 minute cooldown between 100 and 200 yards. I overlayed the 100 yard target on top of the 200 yard target. I am concerned about the amount of drop I have. The first shot on 200 yards is covered by the 100 yard target. I did number the shots in order. Do I need to work my powder charge up further? At this point, needing a direction to do since, as we all know, components are limited.

Hello,

First post. I have been lurking for awhile and really appreciate all the knowledge and information that gets passed around here. I recently bought a Bergara Crest 6.5 PRC with a 20" barrel and have been working on reloads for it. I am limited to COAL of 2.955 as it is magazine fed. Tried H1000 with 142 ABLR and couldn't seem to get them to work. Moved to Berger 140 VLD-H and settled on 57.0 grains of H1000 with Fed 215M primers. Velocity average was 2836 wth ES of 20, SD around 10. 3 shot 100 yard group of .460" At this point, the rifle has 98 rounds down the barrel.

Took 10 rounds to range to verify 100 yard and 200 yard 5 shot groups.

New Lapua brass that was ran through an expander ball for concentric neck tension - Final neck tension was .002 (2nd/3rd fired brass was at .004 - assumed it was because the brass was new)
57.0 grains H1000
Fed 215M primers
COAL 2.950

Shots were taken 90 seconds apart with a 10 minute cooldown between 100 and 200 yards. I overlayed the 100 yard target on top of the 200 yard target. I am concerned about the amount of drop I have. The first shot on 200 yards is covered by the 100 yard target. I did number the shots in order. Do I need to work my powder charge up further? At this point, needing a direction to do since, as we all know, components are limited.
Change to 143 eld-x and go up 2 grs.

So if I have a believed good load with my multiple use hornady brass, I just need to "deal" with the now same subpar load until my Lapua brass have been fire formed?

I have reloaded for several calibers and never ran into this issue that is why I am so confused about it.

Every time you change a component in a load, you will have to "work up" to a new "best". I realize that component availability is not great, but that is just what it is. Just because a load is good with Hornady brass doesn't mean it will be good with Lapua, or Rem, or Win brass. Same with bullets. Just because one 140 grain bullet works, doesn't mean a different 140 grain bullet will work. It may get you close, but you will have to fine tune.
Additionally, as stated, until the brass has been formed in your chamber and the correct shoulder bump established upon resizing, you are probably not going to get consistent results. If component availability is driving your desire to shoot as little as possible, you are going to have to lower your expectations in regards to group size.

Update for the day.

My rifle shoots the the factory Hornady 143 gr ELD-X precision hunter well so I decided to work backwards. The CBTO on factory ammo was 2.316 and COAL was 2.950. I took "half" of skipglo's advice lol. I wanted to try the 142 ABLR again. Loaded 4 rounds quickly and headed to the range.

Average Velocity: 2904
COAL: 2.910
CBTO: 2.315
215M primers
58.0 grains H1000
New Lapua brass
1st shot makes the group .668 at 100 yards
Only counting shots 2, 3, 4 - under .3
Shots 3 and 4 - essentially the same hole

Loading up more now to test 100 yard and 200 yard tomorrow night

Update for the day.

My rifle shoots the the factory Hornady 143 gr ELD-X precision hunter well so I decided to work backwards. The CBTO on factory ammo was 2.316 and COAL was 2.950. I took "half" of skipglo's advice lol. I wanted to try the 142 ABLR again. Loaded 4 rounds quickly and headed to the range.

Average Velocity: 2904
COAL: 2.910
CBTO: 2.315
215M primers
58.0 grains H1000
New Lapua brass
1st shot makes the group .668 at 100 yards
Only counting shots 2, 3, 4 - under .3
Shots 3 and 4 - essentially the same hole

Loading up more now to test 100 yard and 200 yard tomorrow night
Lmao...59! Next and bugholes with the "X" Happy for you though now that you're getting on track...well done! .....just as an aside: I'm a happy Guy...you took 49% more advice from me than my wife EVER has!

Last edited:
Lmao...59! Next and bugholes with the "X" Happy for you though now that you're getting on track...well done! .....just as an aside: I'm a happy Guy...you took 49% more advice from me than my wife EVER has!
Well I went to get eld-x and they were out so started scrambling. My only thought was if I shoot the factory version well maybe I can measure CBTO and keep that constant to another bullet.