6.5 PRC 156 load development

Well, in about 3 weeks maybe we'll find out if Forster is the answer. My 300 Norma Improved had the same issue with Whidden. Ironically enough, Ryan Pierce replaced the Whidden's with Hornady!

Well, in about 3 weeks maybe we'll find out if Forster is the answer. My 300 Norma Improved had the same issue with Whidden. Ironically enough, Ryan Pierce replaced the Whidden's with Hornady!
I will be watching for your feedback. did you get a custom die or just the honed neck?

Their specs looked good enough to me, and they said they'll make sure I get what I need, do I went with a standard die and paid the $15/2 weeks to have it neck honed so it will do minimal work on the neck.

I received the Forster die ahead of schedule and gave it a try tonight. My 3 time fired ASG brass measure .53415 at the .200 line. Forster advised their die is supposed to size down to .5295.

The Forster die sized down to .53275, which is less sizing than the Hornady die I'd been having problems with. The Hornady die sizes to .53240 under the same conditions. I can't believe more guys aren't having this problem?!

I emailed Forster and I'm confident they will make me a die that works, but it seems there is a spec issue across the board?

Has anyone tried the 156 with H4831? I'm running the fierce carbon fury and I just cant seem to get real great repeatability with the 143 so going to try the 156 with either H1000 or H4831! Have a great node at 60.5 of h1000 but one trip its ragged hole and the next trip its 1" group

I just loaded up some with H4831.

6.5 PRC; 2nd load Hornady brass Full Length Sized; CCI200 Primer; 156 Berger EOL; OAL 3.047" ( ~.01" Jump )
Ruger American 24" barrel

52gr H4831 2706fps; SD 11.5; ES 30
52.5gr H4831 2744fps; SD 13.7; ES 41
53.5gr H4831 2788fps; SD 10.5; ES 24
54gr H4831 2818fps; SD 10.9; ES 26

All 5rnd groups @ 100yrds were .8" or less. 3 of the groups each had < .3" groups with 1 shot opening them up to .6" -. 7"

Loading them up again to continue higher... no pressure signs.

You guys chasing 3000fps with 156g bullets should have gone with the 26 Nosler. Sorry it just came in my mind.

I made a wildcat that is short action based off the .300 win mag case. It's similar to the PRC, but I'm able to get 3150 with the 156.

2800-2900 with that bullet doesn't offer many advantages

My 6.5 PRC's love 57gr of h1000. It will send them out at 2925 with 58ish gr but seeing pressure signs, 57 is a happy place for them at 2860fps.

I have done a lot of shooting with 4350, but it pressures out quickly without the velocity H1000 gives. Same with RL23. 839 is quick, but FPS varies with temp a lot between 40 and 75* when I have tried it.

I received the Forster die ahead of schedule and gave it a try tonight. My 3 time fired ASG brass measure .53415 at the .200 line. Forster advised their die is supposed to size down to .5295.

The Forster die sized down to .53275, which is less sizing than the Hornady die I'd been having problems with. The Hornady die sizes to .53240 under the same conditions. I can't believe more guys aren't having this problem?!

I emailed Forster and I'm confident they will make me a die that works, but it seems there is a spec issue across the board?
I've tried redding, Hornady and forster. None have sized the base of case to specs needed. I want to try a rcbs matchmaster set as their 300wsm die sized more base Than redding or Hornady. But jury is still out. If a gunsmith wanted to make a lot of money, start machining a 6.5 prc small base body die.

I've tried redding, Hornady and forster. None have sized the base of case to specs needed. I want to try a rcbs matchmaster set as their 300wsm die sized more base Than redding or Hornady. But jury is still out. If a gunsmith wanted to make a lot of money, start machining a 6.5 prc small base body die.
I ran into this same problem when I rebarreled my 6.5-284 Norma with a Krieger barrel. Luckily they make a small base body die and the problem was solved. But it drove me nuts until I figured out that I needed the small base body die. I was over sizing my brass and even had a case head separation before I figured out what the heck the problem was.

I ran into this same problem when I rebarreled my 6.5-284 Norma with a Krieger barrel. Luckily they make a small base body die and the problem was solved. But it drove me nuts until I figured out that I needed the small base body die. I was over sizing my brass and even had a case head separation before I figured out what the heck the problem was.
LOL yeah, ironically my 6.5x284 small base die showed up in the mail just a few days ago! I'm using peterson 284 win brass, necked down and turned for 5.5-6k loaded clearance. I found a great load but after 3 firings, I have clickers. Hope this new die solves the problem, but doesn't require me to drop charge weight too much. We'll see what happens!

I have an issue as well. .5315 is fired brass and only get to .5310 on a resize. PSI goes up and I get bolt lift click. It will feed and will fire but the SD is not good and I've had stuck brass that won't extract. Not happy. This happening with 3 plus fired adg brass. Thinking I need to test hornady brass and see if the problem is really with a thick web on the adg

I have an issue as well. .5315 is fired brass and only get to .5310 on a resize. PSI goes up and I get bolt lift click. It will feed and will fire but the SD is not good and I've had stuck brass that won't extract. Not happy. This happening with 3 plus fired adg brass. Thinking I need to test hornady brass and see if the problem is really with a thick web on the adg
I have noticed with my Hornady 6.5 Brass that it is getting swipe marks on the head during extraction even when starting load work up (not pressure related) and that they are "mildly" difficult to chamber even when full sized using Hornady Dies.

This is in a new Ruger American factory rifle. I have cleaned and lubed chamber and recoil lugs...... no difference. Factory Hornady Ammo chambers fine but lightly swipes head during extraction as I recall.

I have noticed with my Hornady 6.5 Brass that it is getting swipe marks on the head during extraction even when starting load work up (not pressure related) and that they are "mildly" difficult to chamber even when full sized using Hornady Dies.

This is in a new Ruger American factory rifle. I have cleaned and lubed chamber and recoil lugs...... no difference. Factory Hornady Ammo chambers fine but lightly swipes head during extraction as I recall.
Same here with a Ridgeline. Does it with Hornady and ADG brass well before pressure should be a problem. Only fix seems to be way oversizing the brass.

Patriot Valley Arms used to make a universal small base bushing die. Maybe give Josh a call and see if that would help you guys.

Recent Posts