6.5 haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have taken a few hogs with the 6.5...I guess a more potent cartridge might kill them a little deader...if you gut shoot them then they become coyote fodder or buzzard bait. I just wish I would have found the 6.5 sooner than I did. I like it. question? Just how dead do you want to kill it?
I would say most here are talking more above Elk and the 6.5 being a 1000 yard elk gun. Worked with guys that just carried on and on about how potent the 6.5 Creedmoor was at a 1000 yards on elk. To me that is just wrong at that range it is only carrying 622 ft/lbs of energy. Not a good energy for the size of an elk. I think we owe it to out game to be as ethical as possible and honor them with a fast and painless as possible death. I know hogs are tough animals but never really heard of anyone bragging about shooting them with a Creedmoor at 1k

I would say most here are talking more above Elk and the 6.5 being a 1000 yard elk gun. Worked with guys that just carried on and on about how potent the 6.5 Creedmoor was at a 1000 yards on elk. To me that is just wrong at that range it is only carrying 622 ft/lbs of energy. Not a good energy for the size of an elk. I think we owe it to out game to be as ethical as possible and honor them with a fast and painless as possible death. I know hogs are tough animals but never really heard of anyone bragging about shooting them with a Creedmoor at 1k
Agree 100%! Nice post and you summed it up--we always owe it to the game we take. Although I love my 6.5 PRC and I would shoot an elk with it close; I would never, ever shoot one 1K yards with it--I would get my 28 Nosler for that.

I shoot a 260, bought my first one after having shoulder surgery in 2011 and couldn't take the 30-06 recoil, at least that's the excuse I used on my wife. I built another on a Savage LH action two years ago, it has a Shilen 1-9 twist barrel for 120 grain bullets. I love this rifle.

IMO the CM is no better than the 260, most shooters would be well served by either. When the CM popularity exploded it was fun to stand around in the gun shops to hear some of the crap being spued. It always involved the salesman making wild claims and usually there would be one of the nut swingers (you know the expert who always hangs out in the gun shop) who walks up and tells some story about how he shot a tick off the ear of a grizzly at 800 yards and didn't leave the head in the bears ear. By then the unknowing customer is starry eyed and has to have the CM, he then repeats the stories of how great the CM is to all of his non shooting buddies and the hype grows.

I don't hate the CM, it has been the source of some great laughs. I do agree with the analogy that someone else posted, the cool kids that bought harleys and jeeps also bought creedmoors.

I'm an ethical hunter who doesn't shoot white tail deer in the butt. If you have to shoot animals in the butt maybe you shouldn't be hunting and maybe you shouldn't be posting on this thread or site. Doesn't matter what you are shooting; shot placement remains the key. I am blessed enough to own private property inside a 15,000 acre military base that I can hunt (I am allowed to hunt my own property inside the base) and my farthest shot is about 300 yards. My 6.5 PRC is more than powerful enough and would probably kill a deer stone dead if I shot him in the butt; however I would never do that. There are plenty of awesome guys on this site that post information about the extreme powered rifles such as 28 Nosler (I have one for elk by the way and it is too much for whitetail), 30 Nosler, 300 RUM and so forth and I would be willing to bet those guys aren't shooting elk in the butt. Thanks
His post was tongue in cheek..........Not to be taken literally.

Not sure why folks got to hate on this or that. I say if you think your cartridge is the bomb then great....to each their own so long as they speak the truth about their experiences and capabilities with it. In other words....Data not some gut opinion. Folks should realize that others make decisions based often on the web. I love my 308 and don't own a 6.5....makes me no better or worse than the reverse.

I enjoy shooting the 6.5CM but I am not a fan of the 143 ELD-X factory ammo, for hunting 250 pound and under game. I've experienced mix lethality results with similar placed shots. I haven't lost any game, but I've had to track a few farther than I should have for the shot placement.

When I started hand loading 120s to 130s, what I had experienced with the 143 ELD-X went away. While not scientific, I guessed that the 2600-2650 real world velocities of the 143s was the issue.

Hornady marketed a long range death pill and they needed the paper ballistics to back it up. But at real world hunting ranges, the faster 120-130s are better IMHO.

Honestly I prefer the 264WM (120-130s) and 6.5 PRC (120-140s) over the 6.5CM (any weight). With well placed shot, I've had better results.

The 6.5CM is not The Almighty's Lightning Bolt, but it is here to stay. It's a great round because it works, is easy to get ammo in a variety of loads, easy on the shoulder and has dozens of rifles on the racks available for sale at every price point.

/YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.