6.5 haters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would invite lovers and haters alike to read this article. Some may gain more respect for the Creedmoor and some may not.
No link- just a screen shot of OL's boilerplate disclaimer. Not hard to find that old article though: (https://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2012/02/shooting-65-creedmoor-african-safari/). I couldn't find any links to purchase a Creedmoor or any Hornady ammo in that article- Just a bunch of dead African animals. So I guess it works.

It depends upon what I'm stopping! 😉

If Alaska….probably the .375 H&H or 375 Ruger would be the minimum, though something in a .416 or a .458 would be good stopping cartridge.

If Africa….one of the .416's would be a decent minimum, better yet, one of the .458's or even larger provided they are available in a high sectional density bullet. Some of the big stuff doesn't offer great penetration due to poor sectional density! JMO…..remember, you asked! 😁 memtb
50 bmg end all be all! No muzzle break unless you are a lady!

Freel IS the guide. And nah- the dude is a recluse that lives in central AK.

Obviously those are different killing methods- the point is simply that any medium sized cartridge delivering +2k ftlbs of KE at velocities +2.5k fps is going to induce some significant hydrostatic shock that an arrow won't. If you've gotta hunt a griz and your only tools at hand are a Creed and a recurve- are you grabbing the recurve?
The bow point was simply to illustrate that the guy is not an ignorant novice just grabbing some trendy cartridge and stretching it beyond its means. He's among the most accomplished big game hunters and has the receipts. He'll add this one to the list.

Guide guns are intended as self defense weapons of last resort, not hunting rifles. It's not like AK guides are using .375H&H as their preferred personal hunting rifle.

I don't hold a great deal of faith in the "average" guides choice of or knowledge of firearms! "Average" guides are much alike with the posts about shooting skills of the average hunter! memtb

6.5 Swede, 6.5-06, and many of the other cartridges that provide ballistics similar to 6.5 Creedmoor need a long action.

Hard to read this whole thread, and harder yet to give credibility to posts like this. It's laughable to call the ballistics of the Creedmoor and 6.5-06 similar. Hundreds of fps difference. It's exactly this sort of false equivalence that causes people to hate the Creedmoor craze.

I am not sure I would say 6.5 haters as much as I would Creedmoor haters. The 6.5 has always been a wonderful bullet. Read so many articles about the 6.5 before the Creedmoor ever arrived on the seen. I would say the reason for the hate is the Creedmoor showed up and all of a sudden this is the cartridge to end all cartridges. People claimed ridiculous capabilities when the Creedmoor doesn't produce anything better than the Swede the 260 Rem, 264 win mag or the 6.5/06 A square that was already available to the public. This isn.t to mention the wildcats that were available. Shooters just got tired of new shooters picking up the cartridge running to the range and field and claiming that it was this super cartridge that equals what is out there already.
I am right there with you Yogi Bear- 260- 260 AI- 6.5 CM - my first was a 264 WM- 6.5x 06-6.5x06 AI- 6.5x55- but then I am the same way on 22cal - 24 cal- 25 cal- 27 cal -284 cal- 30 cal- 8mm- 338 cal -oh yeah one of each factory cartridge and Ackley versions- a man may have limited bullets available and always need to be adaptable to all calibers. I must confess I only have two in 375 cal- 375 H&H and 375 JDJ-

Status
Not open for further replies.