6.5 Creedmor- the Holy Grail?

Christ Jesus is savior .Amen .But when the kids and,grandkids are a long ways apart .Conversation can keep a person busy .

Blaming the 6.5CM for 4 lost elk is like people blaming an AR-15 on a mass shooting. It is not the calibers fault but the shooters. Karamojo Bell shot hundreds of elephants with a 7X57 Mauser. Talk about under gunned! A Creed will cleanly kill an elk with the right shot placement. It is not a super chambering to end all other chamberings though.

Blaming the 6.5CM for 4 lost elk is like people blaming an AR-15 on a mass shooting. It is not the calibers fault but the shooters. Karamojo Bell shot hundreds of elephants with a 7X57 Mauser. Talk about under gunned! A Creed will cleanly kill an elk with the right shot placement. It is not a super chambering to end all other chamberings though.
Yep this is true .

I know I am going to get a bunch of flack for posting this, but....

In a recent conversation with a friend of mine, who has a grand slam of sheep on his bedroom wall, and a super slam of the rest of the game animals in North America less a barren ground caribou, I was told during a conversation about accurate smaller caliber rounds that he has four friends, who this year each lost mature elk bulls each with a 140 grain bullet reasonable well placed from a 6.5 Creedmor.
This cartridge, to me, seems to have the ability in many of its proponents minds to be the holy grail of all cartridge designs. It is sad when common sense is put back in the gun locker when any of us take to the woods with a weapon that doesn't really fill the bill for the game we hunt, when we know we have the horsepower in the locker to do the job properly.
Elmer Keith who we all know loved the .270 Winchester. But his favorite for hunting and guiding for elk is reported to be the .375 H&H. He also loved the .338 Win Mag.
Dead is Dead, but wounded is usually also dead but with a heavy dose of suffering to go with it.
I own a .338 Win Mag and have made it a point to be able to shoot it comfortably. I also own 2 25-06's and 3 .243's. I use the latter to plink, for my grandchildren to shoot deer, and for just a fun day on the range. When the hunt is on for me and as a back up it is 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm Exact or .338 Win Mag. Common sense to see that Dead is Dead when I pull the trigger on something worth shooting.

Just bought a 26 Nosler. Hoping the ELD-X 143 will be load of choice. Elk,deer,antelope.

I gess Mr. wolff's elk on page 35 is not dead enough.
1 elk .5000 dollar tag,2000 in diesel gas and,food .Yep I would chance,it For a 5 dollar bullet . what are you gaining by not,using a larger projectile . I have killed maybe 50 elk over 40 years.

While I love my Lite 6.5-284 w/120 gr. Barnes TSX - & have shot Elk & Moose with it Effectively - (none Escaped) - my 340 Wby.Mag is my "Go To" Elk rifle - particularly @ longer distances -- other .338's make sense too -- and good quality projectiles well Placed are a necessity !!! A Big Deer (lol) and a small mistake (like hitting a heavy bone) with a little bullet can end up with a wounded critter & long track!! 215 grains of copper going 3290 fps. vs. 120-140 makes all the difference. Or 550 paper patched out of a .45 BPC !!!
Energy available @ point of contact matters a lot unless projectile goes thru the intercostal muscles -- LRB