6.5 creedmoore 147 eldm h4350 fps/pressure?

Thanks for all the relpys i backed off to 40 grains till my lapua brass and cci 450s come in.. i am still getting craters at 40grs but primers look better.. so far with that load out off 100 pieces of brass and 2 firings. I have lost 5 pieces of brass due to pockets looseing up. They still could have been used another time yet but once i feel my primer went in to easy i just toss them. I do think i need to have my firing pin bushed to stop my cratering issue.. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Also does it do any real good besides to please me so i dont see crater marks?

Yes on bushing the pin I just mailed 2 more out to be done last week. More for the lighter pin he sells on these 2. The other cratered factory ammo in the summer.

Also this is what my primers looked like. This was on first firing of brass.. u can see slight ejector marks in person around the oo in creeedmoore also..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181126-192935_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181126-192935_Gallery.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 183
Keep in mind powder burn rates vary from lot to lot ( I've read as much as 10%). If you are losing primer pockets in as little as 2 firings and experiencing ejector marks, that catering may be more than a loose fit. Curing the catering with a bushed bolt won't change the pressure.
The Lapua brass will handle a little more pressure than the Hornady but of coarse you will have to start even lower than you did because the case capacity is smaller. My guess is your powder lot is on the "hot" side. Also double check your distance to the lands by using dummy case and Sharpie color on the bullet.
Working together with this bunch of guys will help you get to the bottom of this issue.

I did back off to 40gr and primers look slighly better. Velocity averaged 2728 over my last 20 rounds.. its funny you mentioned to recheck my distance to the lands.. I did that when making a few 40 gr loads since i had 400 rds down the gun. I used the hornady guage, same tool i used the last time and i went from 2.55 when gun was new to 2.40. And i do measure to the lands. I figured my gun may be dirty or something so cleaned it good and still repeatedly got 2.40. How can this be? Besides me repeatedly messing up perfectly last time. I use the same shell holder every time redding comp dies so i know my settings. I can only assume my barrel is just a little rough now at the lands or something??

I did back off to 40gr and primers look slighly better. Velocity averaged 2728 over my last 20 rounds.. its funny you mentioned to recheck my distance to the lands.. I did that when making a few 40 gr loads since i had 400 rds down the gun. I used the hornady guage, same tool i used the last time and i went from 2.55 when gun was new to 2.40. And i do measure to the lands. I figured my gun may be dirty or something so cleaned it good and still repeatedly got 2.40. How can this be? /QUOTE]
Maybe the throat had developed a carbon ring. This can happen with necks that are significantly shorter than the chamber and if the chamber is somewhat larger than the loaded ammo neck diameter. Whatever causes it it can raise pressures significantly. I would have a look with a bore scope. Carbon rings are obvious with a bore scope. You could also clean the bore we with JB Bore Paste. It is the best thing for removing a carbon ring.

Maybe the throat had developed a carbon ring. This can happen with necks that are significantly shorter than the chamber and if the chamber is somewhat larger than the loaded ammo neck diameter. Whatever causes it it can raise pressures significantly. I would have a look with a bore scope. Carbon rings are obvious with a bore scope. You could also clean the bore we with JB Bore Paste. It is the best thing for removing a carbon ring.
I will try to clean with jb bore paste.. and see if that improves.. this would make sense as i do trim my cases to sammi. And i do neck turn to .014 just takes the highspots off the hornady brass. I probley should let my brass tell me when it needs trimmed. But i dunno if my ocd can handle doing all other steps to keep things consistent and not get all my necks the same length.

You went from 2.55 to 2.40 That's a bad carbon ring if I read that right. Your speeds at 40.0 grains of powder signal something is wrong. You should be around 2450 in a 24" tube

The way to avoid that in the future is to use a nylon brush and some form of carbon cleaner. I use yamaha ring free for outboards. But any good carbon cleaner used at the end of your shooting day will prevent this in the future

Without access to a bore scope a good alternative is the "dummy" rounds with the bullets colored with a sharpie. Make them up at 2.45, 2.55 and even 2.60. The lands should be clearly visible after chambering. The 2.45 one will show marks other & uneven around the bullet if it is indeed a carbon ring.
After determining distance to the lands the simple "dummy" is an easy way to confirm your calculation. Then it is simple to add or subtract at the seater. Save the "dummy" with same bullet for land checks in the future.

You can't run Hornady brass that hard and expect to get multiple reuses, or any brass for that matter? That being said, Hornady is not trash brass.

Those MV with a 6.5 Creedmoor, 147 gr bullet, H4350 and a 26" barrel is right in the sweet spot. The Creedmoor is a high pressure cartridge and as to why a "modern cartridge" was nerfed in some loading manuals, is good question?

Reloading is a SERIOUS BLACK ART that requires years to master. There's always something new to learn.

You went from 2.55 to 2.40 That's a bad carbon ring if I read that right. Your speeds at 40.0 grains of powder signal something is wrong. You should be around 2450 in a 24" tube
Yes u did read that right. Also it is a 26in tube but that dont make up for the rest of the velocity differnce in your calculations. This rifle has always seemed faster then what i see most people posting for their loads since the beginning(always the same lot of powder). I shoulder bump .002. Even if the csrbon ring is there i was still .005 off the ring. and shooting .5 or better depending on me. And s.d and e.s where single digets on 15 round, then i took my chronny off, ran it out to 1200 and everything was spot on..

Without access to a bore scope a good alternative is the "dummy" rounds with the bullets colored with a sharpie. Make them up at 2.45, 2.55 and even 2.60. The lands should be clearly visible after chambering. The 2.45 one will show marks other & uneven around the bullet if it is indeed a carbon ring.
After determining distance to the lands the simple "dummy" is an easy way to confirm your calculation. Then it is simple to add or subtract at the seater. Save the "dummy" with same bullet for land checks in the future.
i will do this today

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.