6.5 creedmoor to 6.5 grendel

Hey guys, got a gunsmithing question for all of you. I built my kids a rifle this summer. Bartlein carbon barrel on a 700 action. I had it chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. It is short, finished right at 17" barrel. The kids are having a hard time handling the recoil. I normally shoot suppressed but I've even tried a brake but didn't seem to solve the problem.
So my question is, can I take a 6.5 creedmoor and convert it to a 6.5 grendel? I realize the bolt faces are a little different, could that be solved with a extractor? It seems to feed ok from AI mags, am I missing something there? Would the entire chamber area have to be removed? It would make the barrel short, but I could pin weld for a can if I need to.
Thanks in advance,
Matt
I think the problem might be the stock. I've got a 6.5 in a Browning xbolt. The design of the composite stainless steel stalker stock is so good that a non-braked 300 win mag shoots/recoils like a 7 mm-08. My 6.5 is more like a 223. I don't know how you could check this, but a change in stock would be much easier/cheaper than building a new rifle and selling what you have.

Guys,
Thanks for all the replies and advice. The original design was intended for the child to be able to carry his own rifle in the woods, that's why it was built so light and short. I have loaded down the rifle to near start loads with 100 and 120 grain bullets.

I have read and reread all the advice, and I'm very appreciative. I have thought about it for a while now and I think the best alternative is to put the creed back in the closet and buy a grendel until they can handle the other.

Hey guys, got a gunsmithing question for all of you. I built my kids a rifle this summer. Bartlein carbon barrel on a 700 action. I had it chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. It is short, finished right at 17" barrel. The kids are having a hard time handling the recoil. I normally shoot suppressed but I've even tried a brake but didn't seem to solve the problem.
So my question is, can I take a 6.5 creedmoor and convert it to a 6.5 grendel? I realize the bolt faces are a little different, could that be solved with a extractor? It seems to feed ok from AI mags, am I missing something there? Would the entire chamber area have to be removed? It would make the barrel short, but I could pin weld for a can if I need to.
Thanks in advance,
Matt
How about just dropping the charge weight? I know some kids who's fathers broke them in on .308 with a reduced load until the kids grew and could handle a full charge.

There are myriad options here. Most have been touched on by others. This is another vote for reduced loads in a common cartridge these fast growing kids can graduate up to with full loads. .243, .260 and 7-08 all come to mind immediately. But, you also need to check stock dimensions and fit. The wrong comb height, length of pull or cast can magnify lilipution recoil on a small, light framed shooter. Enjoy the hunt.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Try downloading by a few grains no need to go full tilt my father in law loaded a 30/40 craig for my wife when she was 14 but loaded it lighter than regular.

I built a top quality AR in 6,5 Grendel. Was capable of 1/2 MOA at 400 yards and have the target to prove it… but it's now a safe queen. Instead I shoot a Howa mini-action in Grendel and much prefer it in the field.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Try reloading lighter that is what my father in law did for my wife when she was14 years old shooting a 30/40 craig.

I think you're on the right track now. FWIW, a 12" Grendel AR makes for a very handy rig with a suppressor on it. It should push the 123 SST fast enough to be suitable for deer to 300 yards or so and the ergonomics allow for it to be used by people with small arms. Weight stays low enough that they can carry it, especially with just a 10 round mag. Recoil is great, especially when you've dialed in the gas system. It's a great starter, IMHO, for those that are new to shooting/ hunting.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
I started my son with a Remington Model 7 with a Shilen barrel chambered in 250 Savage, shortened stock and 20 inch barrel, 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, he shot his first whitetail deer with this rig at 7 years old, any number of short cartridges will work especially if you reload. You cannot go to the 6.5 Grendel because the bolt face is different.