6.5 Creedmoor Tikka T3x velocities?

aebhunter

Just picked up a Tikka t3X in 6.5 Creedmoor. My first chance to shoot it today and put some rounds downrange. First off, the gun flat out shoots incredible. I shot factory Hornady ammo, and a variety of handloads with 130 grain berger VLD's. All were sub MOA groups, with a few that were sub 1/2 MOA.

I wanted to try to use H4350 with it, but of course couldn't find any at all. I ended up getting some Ramshot Hunter and trying it. This is my first go round with any type of 6.5 so I'm not really sure what to expect for Velocities...

I worked my way up from 41 grains to 44.5 grains in .5 grain increments, 44.5 being one grain over max. According to my MagnetoSpeed I am running about 2672 Average mv with the 44.5 grain load, which is about 130 fps faster than the first load. The velocities generally seem to increase by about the same with each successive powder charge up.

Is this about what I should expect for velocities? The Berger manual claims 2805 out of their max load of 43.5 grains of Ramshot. I doubt it's out of a 20" barrel however.

Any folks out there with a similar set up or 6.5 creedmoor experience? I'm not necessarily looking to increase much, the gun really seems to like about anything I put down the barrel so would be interesting to know what other folks are running.

2672 out of a 20" barrel is pretty darn good. I would be happy with that, especially if it's shooting as good as you say it is. A slow miss is always better than a fast miss.

Not apples to apples but I did a ladder of 143gr ELD-X w/ Ramshot Hunter through my 23" 8 twist 260 Remington recently and topped out at 2664 fps @ 43.9grs

Creedmoor is basically the same thing. Your speeds are quite real

Your velocity is good Given the barrel length.

I would imagine Berger was using a 26" barrel.

I'm running a 22" barrel creedmoor. 140 Eld match over a stiff load of h4350.

Velocity 2725 FPS.

Thats not that bad for a 20in barrel. Im running the 143 eld-x at 2875 with 42 grains of rl-17 and a 26in Criterion barrel. Dont ask me how its that fast but thats what my chrono read and Ive confirmed the velocity to atleast 300 I'll be testing at 600 hopefully this week. I'd give rl-17 a try if your looking for more velocity.

If yall dont mind me asking what OAL are you using? I'm thinking of doing a semi custom build on a Tikka action and wondering if I should use a long action for stretching the bullet out or just stick with a short action. I want this build to be a repeater.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.