6.5 Creedmoor The Ultimate Long Range Varmint and Coyote Rifle?

I bought the same gun for the same reason's, just in a 260 rem. Love it - i haven't had time to work up loads for it, so I bought several boxes of Prime 130gr ammo. Taken 2 coyotes and a ND whitetail with the gun so far. Its been fun. I bought the 260 to take advantage of the high bc bullets, so I havet worried about lighter weight varmint bullets in it. When I get my 25-06 stock back from HS precision getting painted the 260 will probably get less coyote work. Still a fun gun tho and glad I bought it.
The Prime Ammunition .260 is ridiculously accurate and while I won't shoot game with target bullets it's been hell on coyotes and pigs for me. With the hogs, I just always go for the head or neck just behind and below the ear. Too frangible for body shots for clean kills.

I keep harping on him to come up with a decent hunting bullet and he's working on it.

The 6.5 PRC will run rings around it.

Very good point and as soon as my gunsmith John Whidden of Whidden Gun Works gets past working on deer hunting rifles (we still have rifle season for deer for another couple of months here) I'll get him started on a 6.5 PRC build. We've already talked about it and he likes the PRC as well.

He's already worked on a few of my rifles with amazing results.

the prc will outdo the creed, along with alot more recoil
The rifle will probably weigh about 7.5 pounds unscoped and will have a McMillan stock with minimal drop and I have a 7mmSAUM that will be it's twin except for the barrel and it doesn't kick much at all so I'm not expecting it to be objectionable to me.

I don't really notice recoil until I am pushing something like a 180+gr 30 caliber bullet upwards of 2800fps and then I start limiting the amounts of rounds I'm willing to shoot it per day to 10 or less.

Since I hate the extreme muzzle blast of brakes I only shoot rifles with that much recoil at stuff like elk or bigger/tougher game after the customary range work.

The rifle will probably weigh about 7.5 pounds unscoped and will have a McMillan stock with minimal drop and I have a 7mmSAUM that will be it's twin except for the barrel and it doesn't kick much at all so I'm not expecting it to be objectionable to me.

I don't really notice recoil until I am pushing something like a 180+gr 30 caliber bullet upwards of 2800fps and then I start limiting the amounts of rounds I'm willing to shoot it per day to 10 or less.

Since I hate the extreme muzzle blast of brakes I only shoot rifles with that much recoil at stuff like elk or bigger/tougher game after the customary range work.
I am the same way - I have tinitus from shooting so much. I don't own guns with brakes and avoid hunting with people that use them.

Muzzle brakes can be easily machined with a good profit margin hence why so much advertising is spent on them. Hype with brakes and new calibers. Physics does not change so new cartridges cannot become magically superior to much earlier smokeless cartridges. The market is youth who do not have the experience with older firearms and cartridges but have $$ to spend on overpriced modern guns and ammo. Brakes for hunting have more negatives than positives. The snake oil salesman is old and sells new products that are no different than old to a large extent. You can't buy experience and skill, the only two things that really matter.

Just a thought. I'm thinking a 123 eld-m loaded with a powder that will give near 100% case fill for maximum velocity would work great. I'm thinking possibly rl-22? I think rl-17 will be too fast for a full case. Rl-26 is too slow. A 123 in the ball park of 3150 would be awesome. Great now I'm going to have to try this! Like I need to do any more bullet testing

For some reason, few people try the 123's. I shoot Lapua Scenars out of a 6.5x47 behind some RL-15 and they fly great. If I remember right, they're around 2850 fps, which stacks them in tiny holes way out there.

I have the best luck with accuracy when I don't try to load too light for caliber projectiles. I am guessing that the 120 to 140 grain projectile in the 6.5 will give you good, maybe best accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.