6.5 creedmoor reloading

This is 143 ELD X Hornady H4350 At 600 yds. Still tweeking the seating depth. Anyone else have history with this bullet?

I would say you have it dialed in. Same load for me as well. 41.8 grains. .025" off the lands on an xbolt. It will clover if I can hold it straight. Lol. Only get it once if 10 shoots. 2800fps on a warm day.

LOL, yea, I am beginning to think there is some magic dust sprinkled on that round. I'm not the only one who found it very easy to find a sub half MOA load without trying hard. Are we all just lucky ? Emmmmm, I'm doubting it . There might be something to the modern design theories that little round is based on. It's not a good choice for elk sized game no matter how many get taken by those that drink the koolaid , but its an easy round to load for and is a dandy whitetail round out to 500yds or so.

P3141635.jpg
This is my 6.5 Cm X-Bolt Pro (which is now up for sale) It has a 1:8 twist and Hornady 143 gr. Precision Hunter ELD-X is a high as I want to go for hunting bullets with that twist. I have shot 147 gr. ELD-M with it but they only group barely under an inch compared with 1/2" +- with 140 ELD-M and 143 ELD-X ammo.

If I recall your Long Range X-Bolt has a 1:7 twist which means it will stabilize heavier bullets from 140 grains and up.

Heaver (& longer) bullets are better in crosswinds and stay supersonic further despite having a more "arced" trajectory.

I'm taking delivery today on a 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro (bronze) with that same 1:7 twist and I plan to shoot from 140 grains up for hunting.

Eric B.

Last edited:
LOL, yea, I am beginning to think there is some magic dust sprinkled on that round. I'm not the only one who found it very easy to find a sub half MOA load without trying hard. Are we all just lucky ? Emmmmm, I'm doubting it . There might be something to the modern design theories that little round is based on. It's not a good choice for elk sized game no matter how many get taken by those that drink the koolaid , but its an easy round to load for and is a dandy whitetail round out to 500yds or so.
Yeah, I have had the same experience with .308 and my favorite, the 7mm08!

Yeah, I have had the same experience with .308 and my favorite, the 7mm08!
That great :D...........I wish I had been that lucky with the few 308s I've had over the years. Thats been my favorite caliber for 40 yrs. That and the 270win, which I had better luck with on average. I could always get good results with the 308, but consistent half MOA seldom came to be for me. Especially not on the first load I tried ! To each their own, and we often hold faithful with calibers that clicked for us right from the start. By the way, my 20 yr old son now has the first 308 I ever owned. Happens to be the gun I killed my first buck with back in 1980.

Hi Tgnara001,

As many have likely mentioned, way too many factors in play that can affect both of those variables. Accuracy comes from numerous factors such as shooter ability, wind (and the ability to read it), elevation and knowing how it affects velocity, type of ammunition being used (hand loads, factory offerings, etc.), as well as quality of rifle that you are using.

6.5 Creedmoor is an extremely popular cartridge mainly because of the marketing from various manufacturers. It's not necessarily much better than other calibers that have long been available, however, with the marketing hype comes many match grade factory offerings. Not that this helps you as you are inquiring about hand loads...

Now, to address your questions... I think the first thing to ask is; what is your intended usage? What particular hunting/target shooting are you doing?

All of the above responses will give you great ideas, but may not work for your exact situation and your rifle. Most can agree that Hodgdon H4350 and similar burn rate powders will likely net you great results, but is not always the case.

As far as bullets, not many will ever say that Berger VLD's, Sierra MK, or Hammer Bullets won't net great results... those are usually pretty safe to start with, but are more expensive than others. I've had great luck with cheaper bullets like Hornady ELD-M and ELD-X... could start there.

All-in-all, it's redundant to say and kind of cliche, but "consistency is accuracy." Keep your reloading practices in check and any decent rifle (like the Browning) should suit you well.

Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to message me.
I could not agree more!!!!!!!!!
All of the responses are starting places only!!!
The only way to figure out the potential accuracy, speed , and es is time at range , and reloading bench.
No substitutes or short cuts will ever trump that.
Above all else , take good, detailed notes.

I have the same rifle. Here is a couple of loads I found works very well. This is using 147 gr ELD-M.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190709-190750_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190709-190750_Gallery.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Screenshot_20190709-191328_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190709-191328_Gallery.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 205
  • Screenshot_20190709-190829_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190709-190829_Gallery.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 192
Lol, drinking from a firehouse....Basically we gave him so many answers it's almost like starting from scratch. And the loads are all over the map in terms of burn rate vs bullet weight. RL16 & 26 with medium bullets h4350 with heavy bullets, 4198(?), varget, and so on. Anyone tried Win 760 with Barnes 123s? H4831?
Most used are probably H4350, RL 16&17, RL26,(which is a magnum powder that many said is too slow for th 6.5 cm), Varget, H4831.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts