6.5 Creedmoor Optimum Twist?

777guy

I'm converting my first hunting rifle from .270 to 6.5 Creedmoor. She's a 1960's vintage custom, built around a Mauser action. McClellands Gun Shop in Dallas will be doing the smith work. Replacing the barrel, truing the action, bed & free-float, new trigger, new Decelerator recoil pad, increasing LOP to 14.5", and new scope. Wow, lots of $ on such an old gun...Yep, but I bought her at the age of 13 with $70 hard earned lawn mowing money. She's got a beautiful stock! Can't bring myself to leave her in the safe any longer. My big gun is a Rem Sendero SFII in 300 WM, brake, and topped with a Huskemaw 5-20x50 with custom turrets. Just want a milder caliber, lower weight, lower recoil weapon. The question is: What is the optimum twist for shooting off-the-shelf Hornady 143gr ELD-X ammo?
Thanks in advance for your input!

8 twist. That's what all factory 6.5s come with. If you ever planned on the 150 sierra match king then I'd say 7.5 twist. But for most any bullet on the market the 8 twist is perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.