308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor

In todays market, the .308 isn't sexy enough, it's become invisible. That works well for me.

I bought 22 boxes of 150gr Norma soft point for pig hunting yesterday... wait for it... at $13.99 a box. If there ever was a reason to buy a .308, it's the $.80 Lapua brass, abundance of premium ammo and premium ammo in very good reloadable Norma brass for $.70 each.

I have a Creedmoor, and despite the very tired, extremely predictable and boring Creedmoor hate responses, I dig mine. It's an honest .4 shooter with Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. It's very forgiving and when I could get that ammo for $23-24 a box, I shot it a lot. When that ammo became $3x.00 a box I began reloading the pile of Hornady brass I have.

Then I noticed .308 stuff everywhere, lots of it and it is cheap, so I bought a CA Ridgeline in .308 on deal for $16xx.00. I have to tell you, that gun shoots... well. I wonder what it'll do when it settles down at 80-100 rounds. Now I'm buying great ammo at 2006 prices... in abundance.

I love having a washed up old cartridge that has no sex appeal. It makes me smile to shoot boxes of ammo in a day.

View attachment 368291
I agree with your 308 comments. And the fact that you wear high heels every now and then to shoot your 6.5 doesn't make me think less of you.

Laughter. The best medicine!

I would pick 308 for sure I've been using one for little over 11 years now and I've shot deer from 10 yards to little over 300 yards with factory ammo and handloads it just flat out gets the job done. And if blood trail is ever needed there's never been a problem of not having one. I've hunted with 50 cal muzzle loaders 270 win 270 wsm 300 wsm and 30-06 as well and to me 308 is a great deer round.that being said I havnt hunted with any thing in 6.5 or .284 for that matter but I know people that have had good luck with them.i guess if you don't like recoil then 6.5 would be a better pick due to a 308 having just alittle more but you are also shooting heavier bullets.thats just my two cents

Wahooyahoo. I've never put a shaft in a wahoo,,, have hooked plenty. Being of the adventurous spirit, I tend to go for the adrenaline.

Wahoo, before I could get to it yesterday, palmetto showed sold out. But just now was able to secure 2000 rounds at 14.99.
That'll be plenty swine medicine for a while.

In todays market, the .308 isn't sexy enough, it's become invisible. That works well for me.

I bought 22 boxes of 150gr Norma soft point for pig hunting yesterday... wait for it... at $13.99 a box. If there ever was a reason to buy a .308, it's the $.80 Lapua brass, abundance of premium ammo and premium ammo in very good reloadable Norma brass for $.70 each.

I have a Creedmoor, and despite the very tired, extremely predictable and boring Creedmoor hate responses, I dig mine. It's an honest .4 shooter with Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. It's very forgiving and when I could get that ammo for $23-24 a box, I shot it a lot. When that ammo became $3x.00 a box I began reloading the pile of Hornady brass I have.

Then I noticed .308 stuff everywhere, lots of it and it is cheap, so I bought a CA Ridgeline in .308 on deal for $16xx.00. I have to tell you, that gun shoots... well. I wonder what it'll do when it settles down at 80-100 rounds. Now I'm buying great ammo at 2006 prices... in abundance.

I love having a washed up old cartridge that has no sex appeal. It makes me smile to shoot boxes of ammo in a day.

View attachment 368291
I bought an AR10 years ago and was buying 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match for $11.00 a box. I couldn't hardly reload for that amount. I bought a Heavy barreled Remington 700 to shoot targets with and used the same match ammo. Before the George Floyd crap and then pandemic I was still buying the match ammo for $13.00 a box.
I bought my 270Win for the same reason. Cheap factory ammo available if I didn't want/have time to reload.

I don't have a 6.5 Creedmoor because I have two 6.5 Sweeds. Both are modern actions and both will shoot the same velocity as the Creed and one with it's 24" barrel will shoot faster. I don't see a reason for me to buy a Creedmoor when I have two of Sweeds. That's really the only reason I don't have one. One attractive thing about the cartridge was the fact that the reloading data to duplicate the factory ammo was on the side of the box. They didn't use special proprietary powders that reloaders couldn't get their hands on for the most part.

I don't have anything against the Creedmoor but I find it funny that so many do. I kind of look at it as a gateway cartridge. People that have little experience with firearms will buy it because they read all the magazines and listen to all the hype. Then after awhile they will start buying other cartridges as they learn more about firearms.

Yes both would work fine but if these were my only 2 choices I'd go with the 6.5. That being said why not consider a better alternative - the 7-08.
Yes I got on the 6.5 CM wagon and you know what - I never looked back. I enjoy shooting it and it does all I need it to do and recoil is minimal. I shoot Hornady ELD-X 143 grainers and the rifle shoots .5 MOA all day. Of course it took 6 months to find the perfect load for it shooting every other weekend.

View attachment 368291
Could you tell which site did you find these Norma rounds? Thanks in advance