308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor

The deer won't be able to tell the difference, but in lighter hunting guns I prefer the 6.5 to the .308 because it recoils less and is flatter shooting. 6.5 being "hot" for the last few years makes the options for bullets or factory loaded ammo plentiful. .308 will still do the job just fine and you can load heavier bullets, but they aren't really needed for your stated application. People on here might give you flak for going 6.5 but all in good fun.

I'm debating on 308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor for whitetail hunting, maximum range 250 yards; average 75-125 yards. Any real pros going with the 6.5 CM over the 308? I have no plans ever shooting over 500 yards.
Good question. For inside 300yds, the .308 is great. Lots of good hunting bullets avail too. If you were shooting out past 500yds, I'd recommend the 6.5 CM or 7mm mag ( my fav ). I had & loved the hell out of a Win .308 Lever Action ( iron sights ) that I used exclusively for the type of hunting you mentioned. It was perfect for that.

Had the same question a year ago. I was bouncing between the two for my first custom build. I went 308 for the availability of factory ammo and components for loading. Took my first cow elk with the 308 and love the cartridge and the fact I can find ammo anywhere….well almost anywhere these days.

My max is 400 yards for game and I think it's plenty for deer size game. My cow was at 190 yards and she dropped

Haha! Flatter inside 250 yards? Need micrometer to measure that. Sorry Ol' Red couldn't resist!😂

308 offers much better option for heavier bullets to deal with whatever shot presents itself. Bullets are more readily available for .30 cal right now.

And no, recoil is not part of HIS discussion.

Lol beat me to it.
If recall the cm doesn't take the lead until almost 500 in speed and trajectory.
Hehe that's why I went 6.5-300wsm.

Look in the mirror, do you have a man bun? If that's the case oh 6 1/2 is all you'll ever need for 500 yards or thousand makes no difference, they say the 6 1/2 is flatter shooting, but not with the same grain bullet , it's lighter recoiling But it will never be the equal of the 308