308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor

I'm debating on 308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor for whitetail hunting, maximum range 250 yards; average 75-125 yards. Any real pros going with the 6.5 CM over the 308? I have no plans ever shooting over 500 yards.
Creedmoor = Less recoil
308 = ever so slightly quicker kills
This is comparing the 147 ELD-M to the 168 ELD-M on many deer and hog kills

I was making the same decision just a few months ago. I was going back and forth going over all the posts I could find, looking at the ballistics, yada yada, and at the end of the day it came down to something real simple…factory ammo availability. I'm not a reloader so this was really important to me.

A quick look over at Midway this morning and there are 11 options available for 6.5 and over 50 for 308. When I looked at it a couple months ago when I made my mind up there was no 6.5 ammo available and still about 50 options for 308. I know there are other places to get ammo but to me it just really drove a point home that I'd rather have the cartridge that's more available because the differences otherwise for the application you're talking about are negligible in my opinion.

Look in the mirror, do you have a man bun? If that's the case oh 6 1/2 is all you'll ever need for 500 yards or thousand makes no difference, they say the 6 1/2 is flatter shooting, but not with the same grain bullet , it's lighter recoiling But it will never be the equal of the 308
No man bun!!! lol

Excellent info above! I would like to add my opinion as well. If you are planning to teach a kid to hunt, the 6.5 CM might have an advantage. My granddaughter learned at 12 using a 7mm-08. If you plan to eventually go for northern whitetails, or elk, I highly recommend the 308. Bigger frontal area can make a difference. Would you rather get hit by a Fiat or a Freightliner? LOL!
JMO&E

I'm debating on 308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor for whitetail hunting, maximum range 250 yards; average 75-125 yards. Any real pros going with the 6.5 CM over the 308? I have no plans ever shooting over 500 yards.
If recoil isn't an issue the 308 provides a little more margin for error .

I was making the same decision just a few months ago. I was going back and forth going over all the posts I could find, looking at the ballistics, yada yada, and at the end of the day it came down to something real simple…factory ammo availability. I'm not a reloader so this was really important to me.

A quick look over at Midway this morning and there are 11 options available for 6.5 and over 50 for 308. When I looked at it a couple months ago when I made my mind up there was no 6.5 ammo available and still about 50 options for 308. I know there are other places to get ammo but to me it just really drove a point home that I'd rather have the cartridge that's more available because the differences otherwise for the application you're talking about are negligible in my opinion.
I took a look at Midway and confirmed your numbers. A remarkable difference in availability of factory ammo for the .308 Win. While many on this forum are handloaders, I think the availability of factory ammo is indeed an important consideration. When components are in short supply over an extended time, shooters might have to unhappily turn to purchasing factory ammo. Should that happen to me, I would rather own a .308 than a 6.5 CM.

Fortunately we do not yet have to make that choice.

WyoWind

After exhaustive tax-payer funded studies the US DOD deterimined the 6.5 Creedmoor was superior to the 7.62X51 at ranges over 800 yards. I never killed deers with either, thus I am unable to provide a definitive response. If a .223 will kill deers, the .308 or the 6.5 Creedmoor will kill deers.

At the ranges stated, the deer, antelope, pig or even Elk will never know the difference.

(Comparing Hornady Elite Hunter 178 vs 143)
Pros .3 0h-Hate Win:
Increased cross sectional area
Increase muzzle Energy
Extended barrel life
Available factory ammo (seriously, who uses that?)

Pros 6.5 Man-Bun:
Increased muzzle velocity
Increased Ballistic Coefficient
Increased Sectional Density
Decreased recoil

Seriously though, flip a quarter or go to the LGS, pick a rifle that gives you a semi & roll with it. Regardless of which cartridge it's chambered in.

t

Recent Posts