6.5 Creedmoor bullets

Leland Winchell

I'am looking for a good 6.5 bullet for deer,and was wondering for
some advice?

22inch barrel and shots would under 100 yards. in the woods and

our deer are under 150 lbs.

I have hunted with Berger 130gr HVLD's and Hornady ELD-X with 6.5 creedmoor with no problems at all. I must add, all shots were taken at least 250 yards.

For 100 yards, Hornady American Whitetail with 129gr Interlock bullet would probably be my choice.

Last 2 years i used the berger 130's and 140's. Never lost an animal but they did run a little.

Switched to 140 eld match this year and they were all drt.. accuracy was just as good and maybe a tad better but performance wise they were great and i didnt lose much meat from bullet damage.

For those ranges, have you ever thought about using a Barnes bullet? I've been shooting them out of my 30/06, and have really grown to like them. They won't fragmentate at really close range, you'll get an exit hole, and the animals vitals will be liquified. Meat damage will be minimal, and you won't have lead shrapnel in your meat. If your shots were going to be beyond 400yds, you might have problems with expansion. But inside 100, you wouldn't have any problems.

For those ranges, have you ever thought about using a Barnes bullet? I've been shooting them out of my 30/06, and have really grown to like them. They won't fragmentate at really close range, you'll get an exit hole, and the animals vitals will be liquified. Meat damage will be minimal, and you won't have lead shrapnel in your meat. If your shots were going to be beyond 400yds, you might have problems with expansion. But inside 100, you wouldn't have any problems.

What Johnnie said! 127 LRXs are Awesome! 140 VLDs also work well in all my 6.5s.

I've shot a couple critters with matchkings out of my 260. I won't do that again. They just penciled right through. I had to make frantic follow up shots to put the animals down. I personally don't care to do that again. But I will say that they were not tipped matchkings. Sometimes that soft plastic tip can make a difference.

Recent Posts