308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor

I find it ironic since it was claimed to be a Hornady marketing chart. :)
I dont think it is. Hornady wouldve used a 168 id imagine. It's just ballistic tables pulled off their website for specific ammo types. And on top of it the poster used the superformance 308 loading vs the precision hunter loading. Superformance loadings are always hotter.

I dont think it is. Hornady wouldve used a 168 id imagine. It's just ballistic tables pulled off their website for specific ammo types. And on top of it the poster used the superformance 308 loading vs the precision hunter loading. Superformance loadings are always hotter.
Go ahead and compare the superformance then. It shoots alitlle flatter but about 200 ft/lbs less enegy at 300 yards. For the OP's parameters I'd take the 308 Win. Just like the OP did.

On paper maybe. I've never found them to be much if any higher velocity than their match counterparts.

Go ahead and compare the superformance then. It shoots alitlle flatter but about 200 ft/lbs less enegy at 300 yards. For the OP's parameters I'd take the 308 Win. Just like the OP did.
I was just pointing out the data used for comparison was alittle off balance. Could really care less what people chose to shoot.

I was just pointing out the data used for comparison was alittle off balance. Could really care less what people chose to shoot.
That doesn't matter much. Given the OP's parameters of 250 max range and most shots being 75-125 yards the 6.5 CM doesn't offer any advantage IMO. The 308 Win is going to offer more energy at those ranges. And the difference in trajectories is negligible. The BC advantage won't happen until we get farther down range. You know that.

That doesn't matter much. Given the OP's parameters of 250 max range and most shots being 75-125 yards the 6.5 CM doesn't offer any advantage IMO. The 308 Win is going to offer more energy at those ranges. And the difference in trajectories is negligible. The BC advantage won't happen until we get farther down range. You know that.
Agreed. My point was clearly lost in translation. I guess I should've kept my mouth shut. Carry on folks.

Last edited:
Agreed. I guess I should've kept my mouth shut. Carry on folks.
No you have a right to voice your opinions same as all of us. The OP had a set of parameters. That's all. Muddy brought in some charts to bring up a marketing ploy. Which the 6.5 CM is and has done an excellent job of bringing in new shooters. The 2A friendly population needs new shooters to support our cause. So I don't have a problem with marketing ploys to bring in new shooters. But I'm an old fart and like many grumpy old farts we don't react well to youngins claiming something is better when we've been using the samething in a different, old, wore out package. Example: I've been using a 6.5 Swede for decades, gosh thirty years now. Been eyeing one over 40 years ago. The 6.5 CM is a new 6.5 Swede, just in a shorter, new, "more efficient" package. So I'm glad it has brought in new shooters. Just don't be surprised if grumpy old farts speak their mind, that's what old farts do. Carry on and have a good day brother.

But I'm an old fart and like many grumpy old farts we don't react well to youngins claiming something is better when we've been using the samething in a different, old, wore out package.
I been wondering what is wrong with me.
You nailed it!

I'm debating on 308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor for whitetail hunting, maximum range 250 yards; average 75-125 yards. Any real pros going with the 6.5 CM over the 308? I have no plans ever shootin

I'm debating on 308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor for whitetail hunting, maximum range 250 yards; average 75-125 yards. Any real pros going with the 6.5 CM over the 308? I have no plans ever shooting over 500 yards.
Your name has 7mm-08. Just stay with that. One of the best Deer/Bear cartridges.
If you haven't decided betwee the 6.5CM or .308 stay with a 7mm-08 or get a .243 Winchester.
.243 Win is one of the Best Deer cartridges.

Last edited:
In todays market, the .308 isn't sexy enough, it's become invisible. That works well for me.

I bought 22 boxes of 150gr Norma soft point for pig hunting yesterday... wait for it... at $13.99 a box. If there ever was a reason to buy a .308, it's the $.80 Lapua brass, abundance of premium ammo and premium ammo in very good reloadable Norma brass for $.70 each.

I have a Creedmoor, and despite the very tired, extremely predictable and boring Creedmoor hate responses, I dig mine. It's an honest .4 shooter with Hornady Precision Hunter ammo. It's very forgiving and when I could get that ammo for $23-24 a box, I shot it a lot. When that ammo became $3x.00 a box I began reloading the pile of Hornady brass I have.

Then I noticed .308 stuff everywhere, lots of it and it is cheap, so I bought a CA Ridgeline in .308 on deal for $16xx.00. I have to tell you, that gun shoots... well. I wonder what it'll do when it settles down at 80-100 rounds. Now I'm buying great ammo at 2006 prices... in abundance.

I love having a washed up old cartridge that has no sex appeal. It makes me smile to shoot boxes of ammo in a day.

1653522184631.png