6.5 creedmoor long range tips

I would like to achieve at least .5 moa at 1000. I want the gun to be some what heavy. I have Peterson brass and plenty of h4350. I did a good bit of shooting in the corps that I can't decide between a composite stock or a chassis system. A lot of the shooting I would be doing is prone 1000 yards and out. And some prs/nrl.
I don't compete professionally, but shoot regularly from 500 to 1000 yards and moving up to 1500 last couple outing. Breaking clay pigeon's from 800 to 1000 with a pretty stock 308 Winchester. Now testing for the 6.5cm. I have both types of stocks and at this time prefer the more standard on the 308 over the chassis on the 6.5cm. I will give the chassis a while to see if it grows on me. Mostly just what you are accustomed to using in my opinion. Whatever gives me the most consistency will be my choice. Repetitive results like with the 308 is what I'm searching for. 175 rounds through the 6.5 at this point.

Semper Fi Brother!
Seem like you already have a barrel. It's a 1:8 twist. What is the length and diameter?
We built several .260 years ago for hunting, PRS, Target.
The 1K rifle we built is a Defiance Deviant action, Bartlein 1:8, 1.25" Straight 26" in a AXAICS Chassis, MPA Brake.
Load with Lapua Brass, H-4350, BR2 Primer and 142gr SMK. Rifle shoots around 1/4" MOA. Hits 4" circle plates at 1K.
A 6.5 Creed should do at least that since it's a Creed😀
If you need more info PM me
Thanks
Len & Jill
Ooray
The length is 26" and the contour is a proof research competition. I have some lapua small rifle primer brass an some cci 450s. I'm kinda leaning 140 eldms or Berger 130s. Do .264s have a problem dropping subsonic and transonic?

Shot 140gr ELDM for quite a while. When I got to 1250, the impacts on steel were asymmetric, and I even found some tips on the ground in front of the target. For reference, I did not have an issue with 140gr Berger Hybrids or 140ghr SMK's.
Full disclosure: muzzle velocity was 2670ish (both my Tikka's factory barrels shot about 100fps slower than anything since).

I don't think there is too much magic required from the equipment. We have had good success hitting .5MOA targets at 1000 yards playing around with out of the box Ruger PR's with carefully constructed hand loads. Shooter skills, particularly wind judgement, is a key factor.
My most consistent 1000 yard load..Not overly fast or fancy…
8AF83653-CB04-49AF-901C-8E856A49B39A.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't compete professionally, but shoot regularly from 500 to 1000 yards and moving up to 1500 last couple outing. Breaking clay pigeon's from 800 to 1000 with a pretty stock 308 Winchester. Now testing for the 6.5cm. I have both types of stocks and at this time prefer the more standard on the 308 over the chassis on the 6.5cm. I will give the chassis a while to see if it grows on me. Mostly just what you are accustomed to using in my opinion. Whatever gives me the most consistency will be my choice. Repetitive results like with the 308 is what I'm searching for. 175 rounds through the 6.5 at this point.
Just curious, what do you use to hold your clays. Haven't found anything that works very well yet. Thanks.

I would like to achieve at least .5 moa at 1000. I want the gun to be some what heavy. I have Peterson brass and plenty of h4350. I did a good bit of shooting in the corps that I can't decide between a composite stock or a chassis system. A lot of the shooting I would be doing is prone 1000 yards and out. And some prs/nrl.
Ooorah Devildog! Just got my first chassis rifle the DD Delta 5 pro. Really warming up to it. lapua srp brass, H4350 and Berger 140 VLD. .350moa suppressed.

What is your load for that .308 and what altitude?

Ooray
The length is 26" and the contour is a proof research competition. I have some lapua small rifle primer brass an some cci 450s. I'm kinda leaning 140 eldms or Berger 130s. Do .264s have a problem dropping subsonic and transonic?

Depends on the bullet but the 140 ELDs won't have a problem. I have shot them to a mile in my 6.5 Creedmoor. H4350 and the 140 ELDs is a good combination. I wouldn't use 140 SMKs as they have a terrible BC for a 140 bullet. You could give some Bergers or 142 SMKs a try also. The 147 ELDs work well too.

Been shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor probably longer than anyone here and it's a really good cartridge. Have used it in a lot of matches and just range days and even with factory ammo mine have shot well. Your set up is a good one and should serve you well. I run 28" barrels on my Creedmoors for matches but 26" will give you plenty of velocity.

As for the stock, check out the Manners. I use Manners with mini chassis and they are bolt in and go. Lots of different styles to choose from. My recent match Creedmoor is in a Manners T2A and I like it a lot.

Hey, I have been doing a lot of the same thing lately. I have been running only H4350. That's been shooting Hornady 140grain BTHP and ELD-M. I have been getting awesome constants shots out to a grand.
The hardest thing I have is to buck the wind at that range. The range that i mostly shoot at is super windy! 😂 but you get good at calling wind!
I just picked up Barnes 140 grain match burners at $31 a box from midway. I am going to try those this week. From reviews and Barnes history I think they'll shoot pretty good.
On the powder question I have IMR 4350, RL 26, h4831sc to try as well. I can't say that I have run them in the 6.5 but from what I have read that it's a solid choice.

I see from everyones comment the h-4350 seem to be the top choice, with the challenge of finding powder I have switched over to win. stable 6.5. It's a ball powder and meters out better then the H-4350, just wondering if anybody have tried it. I'm running 43.5 grn. Nozler brass, Bullet lupua 136 scenar. getting 2840 velocity.

My advice is keep your expectations realistic.....1/2moa consistently for 5+ shots with a hunting rifle is no easy task. And probably isn't doable for many except in the very best of conditions.