Custom long range rifle set-up, Need some tips!?!

Pepperboy

Heeyy guys im looking build myself a new custom rifle for 600 to 800 yards in either 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM for around $3000 and im unsure of some of the components im looking to use. check out the list below and tell me if there are better components for a similar price treat me like im a new boy because i am ive been using my dads old rifles for years and i thought it was about time i built myself my own custom rig! This rifle will be used for hunting deer, elk and anything else of the like.

• Kreiger barrel - 26", countour #14 palma, 1 in 10" hand lapped, ss match grade in 300 WSM or 300 Win Mag
  • Jewell trigger - set to 1lb or 1.5lb pull
  • Manners Tactical stock - MCS-GAT with 3 colour digital or 3 colour flectarn
  • Stiller action - Predator or Tac300 action
  • Harris bipod - HBBR-S
  • NightForce NXS Scope or Huskemaw - NF = 3.5-15x50 Huskemaw = 5-20LR
  • Remington 700 trigger gaurd
  • 30mm scope rings
  • action drilled and tapped for scope mounting rail
  • badger tactical bolt knob
Leave your comments and thoughts on this rig they will help me greatly, note that i havnt decided which scope, which scope would you choose?

Thankyou to all in advance - Jaygun)

Last edited:
I like it all. I am not real famillar with the HS stocks (other than on my stock Rem Sendaro and VS. Also....I am a big NF fan, so that is my scope choice.

Have big fun....

Ps....you have many sleepless nights ahead of you waiting to take delivery. Even after a few customs.....I still get all giddy just thinking about them. But then again ....I like guns more than you guys. :D:D:D

Pepperboy, I see the bugs about to bite ya:). IMHO I would go with the 300wm, many others may say wsm and that's ok...to each their own. I think you have a good list of components. If your planning on hunting I'd go with no less than a 1.5 pound pull...again a personal thing, I don't want "bang" unless I intentionally pulled the trigger. If on the otherhand your going to shoot alot of paper from a bench then I'd say go with less than a pound. I prefer NF but, keep in mind that could easily eat away half of your budget albeit your at the top end of scopes. Enjoy.

Are you going to be hiking with this rifle? If so I would go with a lighter barrel contour, like a #7 at most. I went with a #6 Broughton for a hiking rifle. Also as far as stock options, I like the HS stuff but I'd look at Manners or McMillan. There are deals to be had on used McMillan stocks on a bunch of sites. Plus that would speed up the time of your build. I know Manners has a reputation of putting out stocks quickly. I think your list of parts is top notch and you'll be very happy with the result. Good luck and post pics.

Are you going to be hiking with this rifle? If so I would go with a lighter barrel contour, like a #7 at most. I went with a #6 Broughton for a hiking rifle. Also as far as stock options, I like the HS stuff but I'd look at Manners or McMillan. There are deals to be had on used McMillan stocks on a bunch of sites. Plus that would speed up the time of your build. I know Manners has a reputation of putting out stocks quickly. I think your list of parts is top notch and you'll be very happy with the result. Good luck and post pics.

Why? I have hiked high mountains with a backpack for days that weighed in excess of 60 lbs in the snow shoes! A 15 lbs rifle ain't crap after you do that for a week :D It looks like a great build! I am envious! I live within a stones throw of Stiller. I am trying to fight the urge to use TAC300 for my new build (6.5-284).

Last edited:
Sweet thanks guys!:D yess this rifle will be used for hiking but weight is not an issue i do this stuff all the time with 60lb/70lb of gear in the north of sweden where its mountainous and the environment is very similar to canada's and there are lots of long range open ground areas which is why i would like this rifle. Yeahh thats the only disadvantage of the NF scopes although you are paying for absolute quality it still is pricey. The trigger will probably be set to 1.5lb most of the time anyway:). and for the stocks i will check mcmillan and manners out noww. Speed doesnt matter to me as it gives me more time to spread my payments out and besides pretty much all of my componenets are being shipped to wear i live in sweden.

The total cost so far i think is roughly around $3400 gun)

Jay

I am going to Manners at the end of this month to try out their MCS-T2 and the new MCS-T5 stocks. Never owned a thumbhole stock before, but this one looks very sweet. Pictures will be required when you get this baby built. Again, green with envy.

Oooooohhh you have nothing to worry about with pictures it wouldnt surprise me if i put the rifle as my desktop photo haha from what im thinking in my mind putting all the components togeather it will kinda look like an m24 that is if i get the hs precsion stock anyway :)

Jay

+1 pics are required:). Good luck with the build and keep us posted on how it goes.

It looks good to me. Some food for thought might be a Barnard action and mate it to a Robertson Composites tactical stock.

Just taken a look at the manners MCS-GAT and that stock for the money you pay looks completely 100% worth it, its little extra money than the hs precision just under $100 more than the hs precision psv and it moves away from the classic hunter style stock into the tactical range with its seemingly lightweight thumbhole stock with butthook which is in my opinion worth every penny! :D Manners stocks is most definately replacing the hs precision stocks ive picked as the manners are in a different league and they are so worth the money. the T2/T5 models again look outstanding fairly similar to the GAT but with and adjustable cheek peice etc.. bit over budget for a stock for me though. thanks for the tip Mckinneymike

Thanks again - Jay
gun)

Last edited:
Just taken a look at the manners MCS-GAT and that stock for the money you pay looks completely 100% worth it, its little extra money than the hs precision just under $100 more than the hs precision psv and it moves away from the classic hunter style stock into the tactical range with its seemingly lightweight thumbhole stock with butthook which is in my opinion worth every penny! :D Manners stocks is most definately replacing the hs precision stocks ive picked as the manners are in a different league and they are so worth the money. the T2/T5 models again look outstanding fairly similar to the GAT but with and adjustable cheek peice etc.. bit over budget for a stock for me though. thanks for the tip Mckinneymike

Thanks again - Jay
gun)

Good folks at Manners too!

I think you have figured out some really good components. If this will be a walking/hiking hunting rifle, I'd also direct you toward a lighter profile barrel. But I also carry an MTU taper on my hunting rifle, so if you don't mind the weight, then it'll work well for you. As far as the stock, I prefer the McMillan stocks over the HSP. Specifically, I like the A3 model for all around. Of the two scopes you mention, I only have experience with the NF and really like them. I'd also recommend a bit heavier on the trigger, more like 2.5 lbs for a hunting rig. Personal preference there as I know a lot of others really like them light. Anyway, good luck on your build. Post pics when it is finished.

Geb

Yeahh weight isnt a problem for me and besides if this is a long range rifle i would prefer to have a heavier barrel for those ranged shots:). and ive found a pic which i think will be very similar to my finished product the only difference is that it doesnt have a stiller action and i might get the stock with a different camo pattern.
MCS-GAT333333-606x179.jpg

But apart from those differences it will be extremely similar to my my rifle on completion.:)
All in all this baby is going to be pretty **** sexyy!!

Jay gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts