6.5 Creedmoor for antelope?

Litehiker

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor for coyotes and some LR competition.

I'm assuming that , with the right weight and construction of bullet, it will be good for pronghorn antelope as well. I've seen a few photos of pronghorns taken with that cartridge.

Any recommendations for a good 6.5 mm bullet for pronghorns?

+1 on that. Goats are easy to kill. Just use what you shoot the best. You could kill an antelope with a 50 gr bullet out of a .222 rem. it just needs to be properly placed.

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor for coyotes and some LR competition.

I'm assuming that , with the right weight and construction of bullet, it will be good for pronghorn antelope as well. I've seen a few photos of pronghorns taken with that cartridge.

Any recommendations for a good 6.5 mm bullet for pronghorns?

The Creed' will whack'em & stack'em pretty dern well. As long as your rifle is accurate & you put the bullet where it belongs you will have some good eatin' to look forward to.

The factory SST (IIRC) & A-Max loads will put'em down with ease. If you are a handloader & looking to play with a new pill I'll list a few for you.

In no particular order:

1- Berger 130 HVLD (Impossible to find)
2- Berger 140 HVLD
3- Berger 140 Hybrid
4- Swift 130 Scirocco II
5- Barnes 127 LRX
6- Cutting Edge 130 MTH (I've taken several head of game with these, Pricey)
7- Nosler 130 Accubond
8- Nosler 140 Accubond
9- Nosler 120 E-Tip

This is in no way the End All Be All list, just a few that come to mind.

t

Yep!

I use 140 grain in my 6.5x55 for goats and 123 grain in my 6.5 grendel
killed plenty.

Here is some bullets I use in my 264WM that should work in your rifle but you will have to work up loads.

I was at the range on Tuesday testing 6 different bullets in my 264WM with a Shilen 30 inch barrel with 6 grooves, 1 in 8 twist and here is the results.
160gr Woodleigh PPSN, 73gr H570, 3 shot average 3261fps
130gr JLK VLD, 73gr H570, 3 shot average 3226fps
100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 72gr H4831, 3 shot average 3709fps
100gr Sierra HP, 72gr H4831, 3 shot average 3691fps
95gr Hornady Vmax, 72gr H4831, 3 shot average 3687fps
85gr Sierra HP, 73gr H4831, 3 shot average 3880fps

Use caution if you try these loads they are pushing the limits. The H570 is no longer made. I was lucky enough to find 3lbs and the heavy bullets like it.

Thanks all,

Outlaw, I hand load and like Berger pills for my 300 win mag rifles so I'll try some Bergers for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Gotta get some dies now - maybe Redding maybe Neil Jones custom dies. He's in western PA and makes great reloading gear. Been to his big CNC machine shop many times.

I've had great luck with the 129gr Hornady Interbond and 130gr Swift Sirocco II in my .260 on both Hogs and deer not to mention piling quite a few coyotes with them.

The Sirocco expands a little easier, the Interbond is a little better at punching through the hard stuff.

Both have proven to be very effective and deadly on game and shoot very accurately for me.

My buddy shot a decent mule deer buck with my creedmoor last night. The 140 Berger hunting bullet hit him right in the chest at 400 yards and he made it 5 yards downhill before he called it quits. In the creedmoor the 140 Amax or 140 Berger will be tough to beat on antelope.

I've killer 3 antelopes with my .260. The first was a doe using the 120 BT. It was a hard quartering away shot and the bullet did a lot of damage. The second was anoth doe with a 123 SMK. The shot was 300 yards on a broadside doe. Very small entrance and exit. Had to put her down with another. The third was my buck, 200 yards broadside. The BT worked perfect.
Antelope2010026.jpg

I've also used the 123 SMK on a few coyotes. In my opinion the SMK is not a hunting bullet and I will not use it again.

I have taken several antelope out to 900 yards, DRT with my 6.5-284 using both 140 gr Hunting Berger VLDs, and 140 JLK's. The CM should be good to at least 700 yards with these bullets.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is plenty of gun for pronghorn. I filled my 2013 tag using my Savage Model 10 Predator at 325 yards. Buck ran about 25 yards and dropped.

YOU CAN TAKE ANY GAME HERE IN THE US WITH THAT 6.5 CREEDMOORgun)

SURE LIKE MINE I BUILT MINE ON A WEATHERBY ACTION 27'' SELECT MATCH SHILEN#6 LIGHT TARGET THIS IS A BAD DUDE W/130GR HVLD'S H-4350 210M FED HORNADY BRASS

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.