.223 for antelope

The 6.5 Creedmoor seems to me to be an ideal antelope cartridge, say in 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X Precision Hunter. Mine group 3/4 " at 100 yards from a Ruger American Predator with a Timney trigger.

BUT... I am selling that Ruger (listed here at LRH) B/C yesterday I picked up a 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro.
That sucker checks all my boxes for a mountain rifle at 6 lbs. 1 oz. (And for $1,760 it had better!)
Here's hoping shoots as good as it looks, bronze Cerakote, fluted bolt & barrel, carbon fiber stock and all.

Eric B.

I used a .223 on my antelope this year. It was a 16.5" AR15 loaded with 70gr Barnes TSX's to 5.56 NATO pressures (off the Barnes website). I was getting right around 1 MOA after playing with the load a bit. Since it was a short barrel, I wanted to keep the range relatively short to keep the TSX within its operating range. After chronographing it and looking at the drop chart, I limited myself to 225 yards so I could just aim straight on.

After being busted in my first couple stalks, I found a herd of 11 antelope. One buck and ten does. I figured he must have had some kind of mojo to be surrounded by that many ladies. After a long, fun stalk, I got off a broadside shot partially obscured by a sage brush at 82 yards. When I looked over the scope, I saw him on his back with his legs in the air. Dropped in his tracks.

The odd thing was how the bullet traveled through him. I hit him in the left shoulder and the bullet exited out the right side of his neck. He had been looking straight at me and perhaps just started turning to run off? Not sure. Regardless, he was dead on the spot. No bullet recovered.

Depressing news:

It has been reported by the US Department of Agriculture that grazing grasses have, over several decades, steadily declined in % of protein they contain. This has been directly linked to rising temperatures. It means many more acres are required for cattle to get the same amount of grazing protein as they did in say, the 1950s.

And the same goes for antelope! (Climate change deniers take note.)

Eric B.

any of the gold dot bullets in .223 will work--55gr, 62gr, 64 grain--new or pulls--- I did a test of over 15 lead core bullets in .223 and they retained the most weight out of all the bullets I tested--some of the "varmint" bullets really grenade and I would recommend a good bonded lead core or monolithic bullet for speed goats if you stick to the small caliber (as long as its legal)--Ive got a buddy that lives in Alaska and he hunts/kills moose and 'bou with a 223 AR no problem
know both your and your rifles limitations and take time for proper shot placement

I have killed several with a 22/250 shooting 80gr AMax at 3100ish and 62gr Barnes ttsx at 3600ish. I'd opt for a lead core soft point or Barnes in the 223s and stay away from varmint style bullets. I'm a head shooter though and want to make sure I get into the brain.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.