6.5 Creedmoor Factory Rounds Preferences

silverhair

Lets start with the fact that I am not a reloader. I don't intend to become a reloader. I have never hunted before. I'm also a relative beginner in any shooting sports.

Now that we have that out of the way, I am looking for a couple of different kinds of 6.5CM factory ammo.

I'm asking the question knowing that it might be like asking Chevy vs. Ford vs. [your favorite here]. But I would like experienced opinions since I know next to nothing about ammo except what I can find on youtube and internet articles. And we know that JUST EVERYTHING ON THE INTERNET IS ALWAYS THE TRUTH. ;-)

The first is a decent quality consistent range ammo as I begin to take up long range shooting. I'm not there yet, but I seem to be doing OK, exceeding my expectations. Currently out to 200 yards with groups in less than 1 1/2" shooting Hornady American Gunner 140gr. Of course, I want to go out as far as I can without being ammo-limited. Locally, I can get out to 300 yards. I will get to at least two facilities with a 1000+ yard range late summer. (Yes, I will be taking training.)

I also want a good hunting round or two or more depending on conditions and game. Something that with good shot placement can take elk or antelope at 350 yds. I want to give that a try once I get good long range skills. I expect to be in Utah and maybe Wyoming in September / October. Maybe Colorado as well. I will have an experienced hunter with me and we may decide on a guided trip. Might try a Missouri or Texas pig shoot sometime as well.

Platorrm is a Howa 1500 22" #2 contour in 6.5 CM on an Archangel stock with a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6-24 x 50 FFP scope, Harris SLM bipod. I am the original owner and have carefully broken in the rifle using Howa's instructions. Now have about 120 rounds through it.

Or maybe this thread belongs in the "Getting Started" topic?

Thanks in advance for the support!

Ive heard that the hornady match ammo is usually pretty good, the hunting ammo seems to be hit or miss depending on your rifle
Along the factory ammo lines, anyone use the s&b fmj for range fodder? It's about the least expensive I've seen anywhere. I saw reviews online that some people had issues with it being too hot, but I'm wondering if they fixed that issue.

I quit hand loading for the boys Savage 6.5 creedmoor a year or so back as the 129 Hornady AW is cheap and it's very consistent. His gun shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards and holds 4 inch at 600 yards. His mom shot her cow elk this winter at 300 yards punched right on through elk tipped in its tracks. I did pick up a box of Fed with 130 Berger just to try but have not shot yet. His old savage in 243 was the same loved the Hornady ammo as well.

A lot of guys were shooting prime ammo in the creeds. However I'm not sure it's available right now since they are having problems, but I know the guys over on snipershide love the stuff

I am going to go ahead and through it out there the capt obvious answer but each specific rifle and barrel are different. My RAP may like 143 ELD-X and yours may not. That being said I set up a RAP for a buddy and it shot 140 grain ammo the best and the Hornady 140 ELD-M was the best grouping. I took down a mule deer buck last year with my 6.5 CM at 200yds with the 140 ELD-M took out both shoulders and dropped him in his tracks. From what all I have read and seen the 140 grain stuff seems to have been the sweet spot for most 6.5 creedmoor rifles. As far as inexpensive soft point hunting ammo. I have put Federal Fusion through 3 different caliber rifles and it produced sub-moa groups in all 3 calibers. I went out to 500yds with the fusion in a 7mm mag and it was still moa or better.

What I do with a new rifle is I buy cheap stuff in every grain weight I can find and see which groups best at 100 yards. Then take the best 2 or 3 and start backing up 200 yards then 300 and see which shoots best. Then I get better ammo in which ever grain weight shot best.

Myself and a few of my buddies have also had excellent results with the Hornady 140gr ELD Match ammo. Bro it you ou of my 24" barrel was 2710FPS.
AA65E2BE-E714-4B9B-A4AA-1B1B7A06EE39.jpeg

You guys are comfortable hunting with match ammo ?
on big game …...

I never thought of that before.. I usually test all grades of hunting ammo in my rifles... until I find 1 that groups well.

For factory ammo.,. most companies match-grade shoots nicely. I do not hunt, so you are on your own there. However, for max consistency, I have not been able to beat handloading. The key is that I control al the variables. To date, at 600 yards, I have been in the .1-.2 MOA range. IF my math is close to correct - that is a max of 1.2" at 600 yards. Wish I had paid more attention in math class...………………….

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts