6.5 creedmoor factory ammo

Leave for Vermejo Ranch NM next week where my wife has a mullie tag. We went to range yesterday to shoot at 500 to confirm her rifle. Nice 2 shot 1.5'' group with Hornady ELD-X in a 1.5min wind. Very good ammunition.

I shot a decent sized mule deer at the beginning of October this year using the 143 gr eldx at 415 yards and it performed perfectly. The deer only went about 10 yards. The one complaint I did have was the bullet did not exit, but this could have been a more shot placement issue than anything. I hit shoulder going in and out.

Jeeper48,

The one complaint I did have was the bullet did not exit

I guess it's all about interpretation but generally, given good shot placement, most of us prefer that the bullet doesn't exit. This indicates that the bullet dumped all of it's energy inside the body and none was wasted. However, for the folks looking for blood sign for tracking, both wounds can be preferable. In your situation though, 10 yards is not a distance requiring a blood trail. ;)

Hornady match 140 ELDM and 147 ELDM both shoot lights out in my CA Mesa.

ELDMs do great on thin skinned game. They expand easily even at low velocity which is good for the CM since velocities are a bit lower than some other popular 6.5s.

Honestly, both shoot so well and perform so well on game that I have no interest in hand loading for it. It's not a rifle I shoot often and I don't target any game bigger than caribou.

Leave for Vermejo Ranch NM next week where my wife has a mullie tag. We went to range yesterday to shoot at 500 to confirm her rifle. Nice 2 shot 1.5'' group with Hornady ELD-X in a 1.5min wind. Very good ammunition.
Good luck on the upcoming hunt. Let me know how it performs if she's lucky enough to get a shot.
I shot a decent sized mule deer at the beginning of October this year using the 143 gr eldx at 415 yards and it performed perfectly. The deer only went about 10 yards. The one complaint I did have was the bullet did not exit, but this could have been a more shot placement issue than anything. I hit shoulder going in and out.
How was the internal damage at that range? And you can't complain about a 10 yard tracking job lol.

Hornady match 140 ELDM and 147 ELDM both shoot lights out in my CA Mesa.

ELDMs do great on thin skinned game. They expand easily even at low velocity which is good for the CM since velocities are a bit lower than some other popular 6.5s.

Honestly, both shoot so well and perform so well on game that I have no interest in hand loading for it. It's not a rifle I shoot often and I don't target any game bigger than caribou.
Yeah after I try the eldx im going to try the eldm and Bergers depending on how they perform. Not so worried about deer sized game as I know they'll work well enough. Im more Concerned about elk. Never hunted them before and I know the 6.5 is kinda pushing it. Hopefully by next year I'll have a dedicated elk rifle. Thinking either 7mmSTW, 28 Nosler, or 300 win mag will do the trick.

I lent A buddy my 6.5 Creedmoor I HAVE NEVER SHOT IT. I BOUGHT IT FOR THE STOCK, STEALTH. Anyway they shot several antelope with a Hornady Factory 140 grain Hollowpoint. If you look on Youtube it's under 1000yd shot on Antelope Kyle Hamman. I shoot a 6.5 x47 Lapua and my wife shoots a 260, we both shoot elk with 130 Grain Bergers. I won't shoot an elk a long ways away generally. But we have both shot bulls at well over 500 yds. Too much ground shrinkage for me. The Creedmoor is the most popular cartridge right now, there is a reason for that.

I like the Copper Creek and Prime. The Prime is great but the OTM bullet is just not as good, IMO, as something like the Elite Hunter, HVLD or ELDX. I prefer the Bergers in the order I listed them. I prefer reloading but I do shoot all of them from time to time. Honestly, even the Hornady Precision with ELDX shoots great in both my Creedmoors - one's a full custom from Mike Bryant and the other is stock Savage 10/110 that shoots sub .5moa with all the ammo I listed out to 600yds. I've never had any problems with the ELDX bullets and I shoot boatloads of animals annually. I manage a large S Texas ranch and shoot for some other ranches to help with their MLD programs. But, I do prefer to use Bergers for a reason I can't explain (Lol) and I reload with Bergers mainly. I really like that I can choose the brass manufacturer from Copper Creek - use the Lapua (if your rifle will work with small primers) or the Alpha brass!

If you're getting into reloading, buying some ammo made with Lapua brass will give you a head start when you get going.

Hope this helps!

I like the Copper Creek and Prime. The Prime is great but the OTM bullet is just not as good, IMO, as something like the Elite Hunter, HVLD or ELDX. I prefer the Bergers in the order I listed them. I prefer reloading but I do shoot all of them from time to time. Honestly, even the Hornady Precision with ELDX shoots great in both my Creedmoors - one's a full custom from Mike Bryant and the other is stock Savage 10/110 that shoots sub .5moa with all the ammo I listed out to 600yds. I've never had any problems with the ELDX bullets and I shoot boatloads of animals annually. I manage a large S Texas ranch and shoot for some other ranches to help with their MLD programs. But, I do prefer to use Bergers for a reason I can't explain (Lol) and I reload with Bergers mainly. I really like that I can choose the brass manufacturer from Copper Creek - use the Lapua (if your rifle will work with small primers) or the Alpha brass!

If you're getting into reloading, buying some ammo made with Lapua brass will give you a head start when you get going.

Hope this helps!

So I know regular 6.5cm brass uses large primers and the lapua brass uses the small primers but what changes would I have to make to my rifle for them to work correctly? IDK if that's a dumb question lol but I vaguely remember seeing some place offering bushings for firing pins so you could use small primers.

use the Lapua (if your rifle will work with small primers) or the Alpha brass!

So I know regular 6.5cm brass uses large primers and the lapua brass uses the small primers but what changes would I have to make to my rifle for them to work correctly? IDK if that's a dumb question lol but I vaguely remember seeing some place offering bushings for firing pins so you could use small primers.

You'll probably have to have your firing pin bushed. And you'll need a decapping die with a small rifle primer stem. I thought about It but I'm not going to mess with it. Inplan in running alpha brass when my Norma stuff wears out which should be soon. That's stuff is junk for what I paid

You'll probably have to have your firing pin bushed. And you'll need a decapping die with a small rifle primer stem. I thought about It but I'm not going to mess with it. Inplan in running alpha brass when my Norma stuff wears out which should be soon. That's stuff is junk for what I paid
Yeah I'll probably stick with what I've got. So if I go with copper Creek is the alpha brass worth the extra $10? What's wrong with Hornady brass? Asking strictly from a reloading aspect too

I lent A buddy my 6.5 Creedmoor I HAVE NEVER SHOT IT. I BOUGHT IT FOR THE STOCK, STEALTH. Anyway they shot several antelope with a Hornady Factory 140 grain Hollowpoint. If you look on Youtube it's under 1000yd shot on Antelope Kyle Hamman. I shoot a 6.5 x47 Lapua and my wife shoots a 260, we both shoot elk with 130 Grain Bergers. I won't shoot an elk a long ways away generally. But we have both shot bulls at well over 500 yds. Too much ground shrinkage for me. The Creedmoor is the most popular cartridge right now, there is a reason for that.
That's a crazy shot he made! Just the flight time of the bullet is crazy. And I've had enough ppl recommend the Berger that I think im gonna give them a go whenever I use up this Hornady ammo.

You could need to have your firing pin bushed but I didn't have to on the Savage 10/110. I think that if you look at a spent round from your rifle and make sure your pin is making dimples in you primer that are well centered, you won't have any problems. However, if your dimples are way off center you might have to get the firing pin hole bushed.

I have found the Lapua brass to be a big improvement over other brass. I won't go into a long detailed reply but One of the main reasons that the 6.5x47L is such an accurate cartridge is Lapua's use of the small primer. They decided to make the Creedmoor brass the same way because their goal is always accuracy. The other brass manufacturers chose to use standard primers because they didn't have to use different tooling, which would have cost more. Plus, they didn't want to have complaints from people with sloppy firing pins in their rifles. All of this was done at the expense of accuracy potential. I get it and most people don't care about squeezing every tenth of an inch of accuracy out of their rifle. Lapua does and caters to those of us that do.

Lapua brass yields higher velocities with a given load than any other brass. This helps to get higher velocities without compressing loads, which I don't like doing. When you're trying to shoot heavier bullets out of a magazine, this aspect of the Lapua brass is a BIG help. Plus, you just can not beat the quality and uniformity of Lapua brass.

It's inexpensive to have your firing pin bushed. You can easily send your bolt to a gunsmith and it's a quick process. There are lots of guys that offer the service with turn-around times of a week or less. It CAN help to get a little more consistency because you get consistent strikes on your primer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.