6.5 creedmoor factory ammo

SCdeerhunter

Hey guys, looking for suggestions on factory ammo for my new custom 6.5 creedmoor. I'll be trying out Hornady's precision Hunter here soon. Rifle will be used to deer hunt and shoot steel out to 800 yards or so and shoot deer out to 500 or so. Next year elk will be on the menu as well, though those shots will be kept closer. Are there any other factory loads you guys would recommend trying out? I realize each rifle shoots different but im looking more at the terminal ballistics aspect. Haven't had much luck finding info on that for the various bullets other than the Berger vlds, which seem to be hit or miss.
Thanks in advance.
David

Federal now loads the Berger 130 grain hybrid. Wouldn't be afraid of poking a deer with one of those....
Honestly hadn't even looked at federal. Think every manufacturer except them. Notice they have 140 gr accubond too. I've never shot anything with a "match" bullet before. From what I've read they seem to come apart pretty quick. Would you guys say thats right or no?

Think the issue with most match bullets is that they expand less, not more. This is because they use thicker jackets so the are less likely to come apart due to high barrel heat that can happen in a match rifle.

Now with ELD-X vs ELD-M that might be a little different. That's because the ELD-X uses what Hornady calls an Interlock system that keeps the back of the bullet together on the ELD-X. It acts like a crimp on the inside of the jacket. I believe this is missing on the ELD-M. This might actually allow the ELD-M to expand/fragment more at long range. That is the OP was hoping for in the other thread.

A big plus for the Federal ammo Kimber7man recommends too.

Yeah I just watched a YouTube video on the 130 gr Berger hybrids. They were shooting deer and antelope and it was doing a number on them. Think after I shoot up the precision Hunter ammo I might try out some federal stuff.

Prime Ammunition 6.5 Creedmoor:

https://www.primeammo.com/ammunition/prime-6-5mm-creedmoor-otm-130gr-match-box.html

PRIME 6.5mm CREEDMOOR OTM 130GR MATCH+ [BOX]

Price shown is for a single box of 20 round $26.60

The PRIME 130 grain OTM eliminates ammunition from the accuracy equation for rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Manufactured in the most sophisticated facility in the world with temperature stable powder and exacting quality control measures, expect hand-load accuracy, lot consistency and reliability upon which you can trust your life.

Key Features
-Hand-load accuracy
-Consistent muzzle velocities across a wide temperature range
-OTM bullet rapidly transfers energy making it an excellent choice for pigs, deer, antelope, sheep and self-defense.

prime-65cm-box-front_2.jpg

Performance charts and graphs available in the link above.

I would first start with Hornady ELD-X and Copper Creek 140gr VLD's. You should be .5moa with one of those brands. Federal and Nosler would be a couple others to try.

Over the year's we have had good luck with both 140 and 130 VLD's from deer to cow elk at distances to 400 yards with the 6.5 creedmoor. I think you might find the Copper Creek Bergers more accurate at 800 than the Hornady factory ELD-X. ELD-M ammo will challenge the Copper Creek ammunition at distance.

With a accurate and light recoiling 6.5 creed, good conditions, good DOPE, you should be able to place shots exactly where you want at the ranges you are wanting to shoot at, and that's going to make all the difference.

I would first start with Hornady ELD-X and Copper Creek 140gr VLD's. You should be .5moa with one of those brands. Federal and Nosler would be a couple others to try.

Over the year's we have had good luck with both 140 and 130 VLD's from deer to cow elk at distances to 400 yards with the 6.5 creedmoor. I think you might find the Copper Creek Bergers more accurate at 800 than the Hornady factory ELD-X. ELD-M ammo will challenge the Copper Creek ammunition at distance.

With a accurate and light recoiling 6.5 creed, good conditions, good DOPE, you should be able to place shots exactly where you want at the ranges you are wanting to shoot at, and that's going to make all the difference.
For a while I thought about going with copper Creek and doing the stage 1 and 2 load development packs but feel it might be a little cost prohibitive. I still might give it a shot though. Like I mentioned earlier, I plan on getting into reloading within a year. So only need factory stuff until then. Need that long to talk my wife into another shooting "investment" lol

I'm also using the eld x and the eld m in my 6.5 this year as I have no time left for load work. They are shooting great so far. Can't wait to get a round into something.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.