6.5 CM or 260 Rem

So let's get back on track here.

We are discussing the 6.5 creedmoor and the 260 as my choices. I have read where people are getting 3050 with a 140 out of the 6.5 creedmoor and 3100 out of the 260.

I wanna do that with a 22" barrel. Is the 260 the way to go? Will the 6.5 creedmoor be more accurate?

It seems as if a lot of people want to express their opinions on something I didn't ask about.

I get 2992 FPS using RL26 out of 24" barrel, Savage rifle, 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 140 VLD's. I have a 22" Kimber, 6.5 Creedmoor, shooting 129 Nosler AB LR and get 2922 FPS. I just can't get anymore speed out of the 22". With 140's out of a 22" i don't think you will accomplish the speed you are looking for safely. I also have a 26" American Rifle Co Nucleus in 6.5 that I built from the ground up. That rifle produces speed in excess of 3050 FPS using RL 26 and 140 VLD's. If you are building your rig and weight is of concern maybe select a Proof Carbon barrel in longer length than 22". Pricey barrels for sure but you'll accomplish the speed factor you're trying for, maybe! You'll have more choices in the 6.5 CM for off the shelf ammo and quality brass. Good luck.

Last edited:
While I hunt almost exclusively with a 6.5x284, most all my LR shooting/PRS competition has been with the 6.5CM, 260R, and 6.5x47. For this application my preference is for the 6.5x47. Superb case design and very good case life! All three are very close in performance. If I were to choose one for versatility (hunting and targets) it would be the 6.5CM for many of the reasons mentioned with an emphasis high quality ammo and brass availability at decent prices.

I am continually amazed by how often a question about any cartridge lesser than a thirty is responded to with suggestions that the OP change their selection. I know all are entitled to their own opinion based on experience or preference. But I read to gain knowledge about the specific calibers in question. This post has convinced me to AI my wonderfully accurate 260. Thank you all for the help.

I have multiple rifles chambered in both 260 and 6.5 CM as well as other 6.5 bore rifles such as 6.5 Grendel, 6.5X54, 6.5X55, 6.5-284, 6.5 STW and 6.5 Weatherby Magnum.

My favorite of them all is the 6.5 Creedmoor both for competition and for hunting. But for elk when I can, I use a 300 Win Mag 18" Suppressed and 208 grain A-Max or ELDM. It simply crumples big bull elk and gives me wide latitude for shot angle selection.

However, I have cleanly killed multiple big heavily muscled bull elk with my 6.5 Creedmoor. Perhaps shot placement and shot angle selection is more critical with the Creedmoor than with the WM and I would limit my range to 600 yards, but if you put it in the lungs the results are indistinguishable from the 300 Win Mag.

.260 has better characteristics for gas guns, more case capacity, faster velocities out especially out of hand loads.

6.5, very close in capabilities and available on the shelf almost everywhere to include Walmart.

I run .260 but am thinking about switching to 6.5 just for availability.
He
Hornady has really promoted 6 5 Creedmore and ammo seems more abundant. I have a Remington bolt gun and love it in 260 rem. And also a 6 5 creedmore AR. Also a great gun. I can. Performance is very similar. I can not decide so use both it would depend on the gun you are using. My creedmore AR has a long heavy barrel so not so good for carry and Remington hunter 260 is lighter but has a fairly heavy barrel okay to carry. Either caliber choice will make good hunting rifle for deer, coyotes etc. Maybe a lighter weight bolt gun.

I outshoot regularly with my .260 over a friend and his 6.5 Creed in a RPR. I use a Sako and that might also be a difference. .260 beats the Creed in every category though more ammo as noted is available for the Creed. When you have a few rounds from Hornady, Copper Creek etc. I dont see that as a compelling argument to go to a lesser performing round.

If it's a short action, I'd go .260 AI with a Wyatt magazine box. I'm ordering a .260 AI ReMAge fast twist barrel to make a switch barrel rifle. I have a 6.5 CM and I'd like a little more velocity. I think it would make a great light deer rifle. It would no doubt kill an elk, I would use a more powerful cartridge. I also have a 6.5 RM and it's a deer killing SOB. I've killed deer with it over 400 yards, but I'd like a faster twist to stabilize the 140 bullets. I also have a .26 Nosler, but it's not as versatile as the shorter case 6.5's.
If you have a medium length action, I'd go with a 6.5-284 or a 6.5 PRC. so I could seat bullets out further.

wanting to build a hunting rifle for out west and the occasional pig. Ranges will vary from 100 yards to 800ish.

Thinking about using the hammer bullets or Berger target VLDs but not sure yet.

What the are the pros and cons of the 6.5 creedmoor vs 260 rem?

Thanks.
Why not 6.5x284 best 6.5 out there. Wouldnt shoot a bull elk with it but thats because we shoot 300 rum as well as 7mm stw, but my brother did kill a cow with the 6.5x284 last year.

Were I not already invested in the .260, I'd opt for a 6.5 Creedmoor. But I agree with Milepost back on the first page: I prefer the .260 Ackley with a fast-twist (8.5) barrel.

With the new 156gr Berger that's coming out I would seriously look at the 6.5-300 WBY. That bullet should greatly decrease throat erosion compared to the others under 140gr. and improve its ability on elk size game.

I'm building my second 260 Remington using a Savage action and shilen barrel. I'm using Berger classic hunting bullet 135 grains. RL 26. Getting 2950 FPS with no pressure signs. It's about 1/2 MOA at 100 yards. I plan to get it out to 600 yards. It has an AICS magazine install. I'll also try Nosler ABLR It's a fun caliber. Probably use it for antelope

Last edited:
I have both, a 6.5 CM in Fierce Firearms that is a stupid accurate rifle and a .260 in Sako 85 Grey Wolf...also a tack driver...superior in fact for a "stock" rig. I get about 100 FPS more out of the .260 and a bit more accuracy out of the 6.5CM. I shoot 142 Nosler ABLR out of both and that bullet has a better ballistics coefficient and sectional density than the 140 gr .270 Win. at about the same velocity. Not too many on this thread would cite the .270 as too light for Elk, so I'd say use your .264 rig like you would a .270 and you should be fine...assuming your load gets you 2800 fps out of that ~140 bullet. I've been experimenting with 150 ELD-X and 156 Oryx....jury is still out. Btw, wife killed Gemsbok, Sable Antelope, and Wildebeast in Africa last month using a Weatherby Camilla rifle, 20" bbl in a 7mm-08 shooting 145 Barnes LRX at 2700 fps...one shot kills at 100-150 yds, so a few data points there on range and those medium calibers. I'd personally keep all my Elk shots using any of those rifles to about 3-500 yds...but that's just me...and I'd do the same with a .270 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.