6.5 CM or 260 Rem

The 6.5 Creedmoor is preferred when one wants to use long and heavy bullets in a standard .308-length magazine. The shorter case leaves more room for the long noses.

Further, stock 6.5 Creedmoor rifles come standard with the faster twists needed to stabilize these long bullets.

Regarding Elk and the 6.5, the 6.5x55 Swede is probably the world's most prolific elk harvester, thanks in part to the 160 gr lead core and 140 gr lead free bullets in the cartridge. The Creedmoor will do better.

Agree with many. Neither cal for what you describe. You're expectations for those are unrealistic. Kinda like people saying a CM would do anything a .300winmag will do. Not even on the same plane/page or planet. Like comparing a focus to a Ferrari. With those 2 cals, you'd be doing yourself and more importantly the elk a disservice. Go to a big 7mm or 30cal (300Win/Wby/PRC) and cover everything. Or, (for your back on track) if you must have a 6.5, for what you describe the only 3 real choices are handloaded .264 Winmag, or 6.5x300Wby and 26 nosler

So let's get back on track here.

We are discussing the 6.5 creedmoor and the 260 as my choices. I have read where people are getting 3050 with a 140 out of the 6.5 creedmoor and 3100 out of the 260.

I wanna do that with a 22" barrel. Is the 260 the way to go? Will the 6.5 creedmoor be more accurate?

It seems as if a lot of people want to express their opinions on something I didn't ask about.
What your seeing is absolute MAX velocities in 26in or longer barrels with rl-26. I have a 26in, I topped out at 3014 with a 140 because I ran out of room in my hornady brass. I would not expect this as the norm. My actual load was 2945 fps. Your asking too much from both these cases. It's like trying to get a Honda civic to run the quarter mile in 10 sec. If you want these kind of velocities, get a case that's meant for it.

and with everything that everyone has said so far = I'd pass on both I wouldn't consider either for out west hunting especially out to beyond 500 yards.

260 rem vs 6.5 creed is analysis paralysis. Pick one and shoot but I do agree that your performance expectations are unrealistic.
I have a 260 rem and wish at times I did a creedmoor for availability of ammo, then I remember that I likely wouldn't buy ammo for hunting so it is a non issue.

I would suggest your buddy get his chrono checked out though, I have concerns his chrono maybe does show numbers that high but I'm reality it is 200-300 fps slower. Maybe he hasn't actually gotten these numbers and is simply guessing but if he is indeed getting these velocities something is off.

These two cartridges are twins. Creedmoor has better availability of factory loaded ammo. If you reload, the 260 takes the cake due to case capacity. Three years ago, I was in the same spot. I choose 260 and love it. If I were looking to build a 6.5 now, I'd build a 6.5PRC over both the 260 and creed. Builders are getting .3's with factory ammo along with 6.5-284 speeds and normal barrel life.

I have asked and been blown up for asking why the 6.5CM is such a big deal when the 260REM was there all along.
The difference is Hornady propping up support with exceptional ammo offerings. If those had been around for the 260 10 years ago we would never have seen a 6.5 explosion today. It would have already happened with the 260.
With that said . It's a pointless debate. Off the shelf ammo is the difference maker.

I'm on the 6.5 creedmoor bandwagon but another easy alternative if you handload is heavy 308s. I run a 208 amax out of a 22" barrel at 2550 with rl17. I'm sure you could get similar velocities out of the eld-x and shoot lighter loads for hogs.

I have (3) 260's and (2) 6.5 Creedmoor and they all must be wimpy as NOT ONE will hit the 3000 FPS mark with heavy bullets. I can and do get 3275 FPS out of a 22" 260 with a 100 gr NBT. but when chunking 130's and 140's the 260 will get close but not touch 3000 FPS. The Creed's are over 100 FPS slower.
When I first started with the 260 good factory ammo was hard to find, that is not the case now.
I reload so it has never been a issue for me. I may could get them a little faster if I tried a different powder but I have loads worked and I am happy with what I have.
If I wanted more FPS, I would look at a 264 WM or maybe a 6.5 PRC.

I'm going to jump back in here for a moment; if a shooter wants a real performer in a cartridge with about the same OAL as the 6.5 CM and .260 Rem for the same size action I think it would be hard to beat the 6.5 Rem Mag, I owned and hunted with the 6.5 Rem Mag in a Mod 700 BDL back many years ago and it was not just more bang (vel's) it was extremely accurate. I'm still of the thought Remington is crazy for not bringing that cartridge back in a full-size hunting rifle.

wanting to build a hunting rifle for out west and the occasional pig. Ranges will vary from 100 yards to 800ish.

Thinking about using the hammer bullets or Berger target VLDs but not sure yet.

What the are the pros and cons of the 6.5 creedmoor vs 260 rem?

Thanks.
What are you calling out west what are you going to hunt

Sounds like this is for medium sized game. My vote would be 7mm Rem Mag, followed by the 7mm & 270 WSM and then either the 280 Rem or 270 Win.
Just my $.02.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts