6.5 CM or 260 Rem

I have the .260 with a 9 and one with an 8 twist. They will both achieve more velocity than the Creed I have with an 8. The 8 twist 260 and the Creed have 24 inch tubes and the 9 twist 260 is a 22". The 9 twist I have (a 700 Titanium) will stabilize 140 SMK and 130 VLD Hunting but not the 142SMK or 140 VLD Hunt. I honestly can see zero difference with the Creed and .260 if both have the 8 twist. I have killed several critters with both and only like the .260 better cause I have hunted with it for an extra decade or so. I do not shoot any factory ammo, but if I did that would give the Creed an edge, and there are maybe a few (a boat load) more rifle options available in the creed. I too also shoot the 6.5x284, 6.5 PRC (my new favorite), and the .264 Win Mag. The Creed and 260 are both easier to shoot, use less powder, and kill stuff under 500 pounds with the same efficiency. You can't go wrong with either. Nosler, Norma, and Lapua all make brass for both.

I've got an AR 10 in both 6.5cm and in .260, I built the creed before complete rifles were available and the only real difference is ammo availability. Both are extremely accurate rifles but neither will do anything the other won't do just as well.
Personally if I were buying a new rifle today I'd go with the creed for 2 reasons. First is the obvious ammo availability that the creed has, the other is that most of the .260s have to slow of a twist rate for what little quality ammo is available.

wanting to build a hunting rifle for out west and the occasional pig. Ranges will vary from 100 yards to 800ish.

Thinking about using the hammer bullets or Berger target VLDs but not sure yet.

What the are the pros and cons of the 6.5 creedmoor vs 260 rem?

Thanks.
I shoot a .260 for 600 yards at my club and its easy to load very accurate and no recoil !

If I was gonna have one rifle for western hunting that would include a elk tag every year or so, I would pick something like the 280AI, 7RM, or 300 WSM. I carried a 7RM for 25 years out west for elk and deer, no problems. My favorite carry rifle now for elk is the 300 WSM. It could do deer really well to with lighter bullets or just use a 180 Gr bullet for everything. A brake or just a good recoil pad can make a 300 WSM very easy to shoot.
Elk hunting can get kinda expensive and more often than not you will get one shot and it is probably not gonna be an optimal shot either.

-

Last edited:
to get good velocities in the 260 go at least 24" I've had 22" tubes on the 260 and 28.5" tube, the longer is better 24" would be optimal. Just my 2 cents, great round with 130 Swift Scirroco's. Have dropped 100 lb. deer to 700-800 lb. elk in their tracks out to 300 yds. I'm sure that pill will do the trick further if needed.

Both are limited in energy for deer when you start to get out past 500 yards. 260 Rem. with 120 grain projectile has approx. 1020 ft.lbs of energy at 500 yards. Be sure to check OGW(Optimum Game Weight) charts beyond that distance. You don't want much less than that for deer. Gundata.org ballistics calculator is good when you know the required energy to ethically kill the game you are hunting. Also know what bullet you are using. Needless to say you want proper expansion,energy transfer and of course placement.

Hornady lists the 143 ELD X for their precision hunter ammo as having 1308 ft-lbs at 500 yds. with 2700 ft/sec out of 24 inch barrel. I am getting 2750 ft-lbs out of my 26 inch barrel and their data is for sea level.. so will be a bit faster at 8000 ft elevation and have a bit more energy.

I just put a 260 together just because I'm sick of being force feed 6.5 cm at local shops.
Actually there's very little different, cm is easy to find stuff for it.
I only reload and you find all the 260 reloading supples you need online

Sooooo back to the original post where I was asking about 6.5 creedmoor vs 260 Remington.

It seems a lot of people want to suggest something else when I specifically asked about the 6.5 creedmoor and the 260 Remington.

If you are set on using one of the two, I get more velocity out of my 260 than my 6.5 with the same weight bullet. If I were looking at ranges of 800 yards then I would go with the one which would have the most down range energy. Thats the 260. If you don't reload then get whatever you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.