6.5 CM Accubonds or ELD-X

Why does everyone keep defending the 6.5 creedmoor, by listing pre existing 6.5 cartridges that ALL hold more powder than the creedmoor? Lol.

5mqafvcigo901.jpg

When looking at the velocity performance of the 6.5 CM, 260 Rem, 6.5x55 your looking at almost the exact same velocity level. Even though the 6.5x55 has a larger case than the 6.5 CM it has been loaded to a much lower PSI level because of the many older 6.5x55 rifles. The 260 Rem holds 1.2 grs more powder than the CM. Which means about 60 FPS more. Amounts to nothing in the field. Many US shooters are not aware of the heavy game taken taken around the world by the 6.5. Look at the exploits of " Karamojo Bell " ( Walter Dalrymple Maitland ) using the 6.5x54 MS driving a 160 gr bullet at barely 2300 fps in Africa around 1900. Very interesting reading. He took numerous elephants penetrating 22" to 24" of skull to the brain & over 400 head ( documented ) of every kind of African plains game. He averaged 1 1/2 shots per animal meaning many were one shot kills. Open sights, no scopes then. The capability of the 6.5 is very underestimated.

The undeniable fact is, that moose are a thick skinned, big boned, heavy animals. Much more so than an elk. There is no doubt that a 6.5 creedmoor will kill an elk or moose, with a well placed shot. But it is not an ideal caliber. A 22 mag will drop one too, if you shoot it in the neck. But is doesn't mean you should hunt with one. I have personally seen people loose elk due to shoulder shots that did not penetrate. We have recovered bulls that needed 2 shots because the first did not make it through the shoulder. Those of us that are trying to steer the OP away from the 6.5 creedmoor, are simply doing so to help him not make a mistake that could cost him a hunt. So while yes you can kill a moose with a 6.5 creedmoor, I am strongly suggesting that you pick a better suited caliber. You are spending a lot of money on this I'm sure. I've looked into moose hunts myself, and know how much they can cost. I personally would NOT go on such a hunt with a 6.5 creedmoor. Black tail hunt? YES. Coues deer hunt? YES. Mule deer hunt? YES. Elk or moose? NOPE. The 6.5 creedmoor is a proven accurate cartridge that has it's place. Use the right tool for the job. This is not a jab at the creedmoor, it's just honest, GOOD information.

So this touchs a very good point.
Is it the caliber/cartridge or the bullet?
Along with shot placement.
Having seen Alaskan moose killed with a variety of cartridges and calibers this is my conclusion. It's all about bullet construction and more importantly shot placement. Will a 6.5 kill a moose? Hell yes it will!
But it must be placed in a lethal area. Penitration is key.
This brings in the bullet construction
Over the years many a moose have fallen to a 6.5.
We now have technology that allows better performance from a given cartridge. Question is if the shooter can get the bullet where it needs to be to be lethal. I could go one for along time about stuff. I'm no Creedmoor fan. Not by any means. But if a hunter calls me and says this is his weapon I'll try and talk him into something different. If he says that's all he feels comfortable with then I'll ask if reloads. If yes then the hammer bullet is the go to bullet. If the answer is no then I say send your rifle to Steve and Brian. Let them develop a load to give you the best chance possible with what you have to get you a moose
Having said all this it's not about how big or how much horsepower the cartridge has. It's ALL about shot placement and bullet construction. Then getting the hunter into the required lethal range of that combination of hunter/rifle/cartridge/bullet.
Is there a better caliber/cartridge I would prefer? Yes!
Have I seen 6.5's kill before? Yes!
Long winded but this is my opinion
Just a opinion

Last edited:
A lot of what you say makes perfect sense to me. Bullet placement & construction for the specific game is essential. I have had hunters using heavy magnums & large tough bullets wound both deer & elk. Watched one hunter shoot an elk at about 80 yds with a 338 mag five times before getting it on the ground. Then a final shot had to be made. Afraid of the recoil & jerking the trigger. Most hunters I see with heavy cal's tend to make poor shot placement. Lighter recoiling rifle shooters tend to place their shots more accurately. The majority of hunters I see just don't shoot their rifles enough to perfect their shooting skills. Moore practice & perhaps some professional instruction on shooting skills like squeezing the trigger. Perfecting close range off hand skill.

Any caliber will kill as we all know especially when shots are relatively close. I personally wouldn't use anything less than a 300WM. My only question to the OP is "If this is a guided hunt, have you told your outfitter you are using a 6.5CM?". Outfitters do and can reject hunters using certain calibers used by hunters based upon their own real world experiences. Moose can be dangerous even not wounded and Outfitters may have minimum caliber requirements for a moose hunt. I would strongly recommend the OP ask in writing to the Outfitter to confirm so the OP doesn't arrive in camp and find out WTH?

Its crazy how some people are still ignorant after SCIENTIFIC data been posted, still telling to use bigger caliber lol. Yeah, just call in air support, those bombs will definitely do the job lol.
Colorado parks and wildlife has minimum of .24 caliber and 1000energy remaining for elk. They recommend 1200 or better impact energy for elk on double lung shot. Many elk been taken with 243. Moose is tougher, bigger... but with proper bullet, placement and range... moose has no chance. At sea level 6.5creed ~140 grains still has 2500fps and 2000+ energy left at ~300 yards... put that in lungs, and moose is going to the fridge. Plus if you want to be on a very safe side, due to low recoil, can put follow up shot or two until its down. It is crazy how evolution in bullets, powders etc according to these folks, work in reverse... with age evolution gets worse. If person cant shoot, he cant shoot, even bazooka wont help.

I use the 143eldx, great for deer, but I would use the accubond for moose, but not the lr accubond

My 30 30 with a 150 grain bullet dropped my moose 1 shot. The 143 eldx has killed 6 elk for us now with no issue out to 500 yards. I would be confident on a moose with it if your boiler room confident with your range. The accubond lr has worked well for my freind in his .264.
Id use either... but the partions and hammers are good suggestions as well.

The eldx did not retain more than 80% of the weight in the ones I recovered but the penetration is usually in the hide on opposite side. The organs hit are pulverized so thats a win to me when all the energy is dumped into the animal rather than flying out the otherside.

The pics are elk. 1st pic is a pass through @315 yards. The bloody bone fragment is the shoulder that got clipped on entry.(still a pass through).
The bullets bellow were recovered from previous elk. They all went quick but not were hit wrong either. My mileage anyhow.

1222182118.jpg
1222182118.jpg
1216181558.jpg
0106171819a.jpg

Its not the 6.5 Creed but its a 6.5 regardless 143 ELDX. I think the creed is capable out to 300 easy on any North American animal with good bullets. of 140 or larger. I just had to post this. I would not be conserned with any of the shots except the 1200 yard shot with my old 6.5X284Norma. Well also the grizzly bear I would have my 300RUM.

Last edited:
I spent a better part of an afternoon getting my moose out of a beaver pond that was up to my nipples after it went 20 steps from the shot. 200grain hotcore at 3000ish fps from a 300wby. October 35 degrees and I shivered for 2 days after that. Will a creed kill a moose of course. If you are going to use it consider head shots.

If I'm moose hunting, or elk hunting I'll probably use my 300RUM for the most part with the 220 ELDX or something around there about. I also have a 264 win mag that's brand new and needs a scope. If I have my 6.5X284Norma rebarreled and its shooting like it used to then I would take it. But thats the order I would probably hunt with. If its mule deer then any of the 6.5's will be on the list.

Just did a little penetration/weight retention test of my own at 200 yds on cardboard, hard bound books and 5/8" waferboard combination with 142gr ablr and a 147gr eldx they were within 60fps of ea other velocity wise, the eldx penetrated 2" farther but averaged a retained weight of 52 grains upon the end of it's path, totaled 14" penetration, the ablr retained 64 grains of weight avg but went right at 12" total at a distance of 200 yds hope you fair well on your moose tag

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.