6.5 CM Accubonds or ELD-X

the blur

I love my 6.5 CM. Tikka hunter. 1 MOA.
I'm gonna go for Moose.
Both 140's.
It's either the Hornaday ELD-X, or the Nosler Accubond.

I have heard of ELD-X failures surfing around, but Nosler ammo is not a popular.

Any comments.

Accubond is tough and would be my choice no doubt. I shot pronghorn at 177yds with ELDx and it dropped him but I could only find a very small piece of jacket on broadside shot. Shot WT buck at 125yd same thing. Shot doe at 325 and had passthru, so to me its truly a LR bullet to soft for up close moose.

accubond! we had great luck with the 140 this past year on deer sized game, never did catch a bullet. all one shot kills - ELDX would be better served for long range thinner skinned/boned.

just my own opinion after observing and using them for a few years.

I used to love accubonds and ballistic tips. Then I got a batch for my 338 that the tips fell out. This even happened when I was trying to put a follow up shot on a 5x5 elk. Took me a bit to clear the jam, but I got the elk. I've been shooting hornady since. I was using sst's, and switched to eld-x's but haven't gotten hunting with them yet. My eld-x load shoots a bit better than the prior sst load.

Caliber being light in my view aside I don't necessarily view the AB as a super tough bullet. It is quite expandable and does lose weight at higher velocities .I think it is a great bullet and it is my go to for deer but the Barnes, swift a frame and sirrocco2, and partitions are tougher bullets for larger game

In my experience the AB will give you deeper penetration. The ELD-X is great for deer, Elk but on Big Frame heavy bone like a moose I would lean towards the AB. But Partitions or Game king would be even better.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.