6.5 bullets on game

Thanks I was thinking 1,200 ftlbs on elk and 800 on deer.
I'm getting a 260 Rem for wife to upgrade from .243 and she already is asking about elk hunting. So getting some thoughts on bullets, etc.
142 ABLRs. It finally clicked for my youngest son last winter. I'd been telling him with his rifle he should be able to see the bullet impact the target(Rem 700 22" bull barrel with brake) because the thing barley moves when you pull the trigger. So last year he was so excited when at @450 yards he watched the bullet hit the cow and she dropped instantly. That was his 3rd elk in as many years, makes me wonder what he was doing the times before. Just relying on me on the spotter to call the shot I can only hope.

142 ABLRs. It finally clicked for my youngest son last winter. I'd been telling him with his rifle he should be able to see the bullet impact the target(Rem 700 22" bull barrel with brake) because the thing barley moves when you pull the trigger. So last year he was so excited when at @450 yards he watched the bullet hit the cow and she dropped instantly. That was his 3rd elk in as many years, makes me wonder what he was doing the times before. Just relying on me on the spotter to call the shot I can only hope.
The 142 is what I think I'm going to start load development with, I loaded 190 in 30-06 for back up gun for elk and I am waiting for 265 for my 33 nosler. I guess the key is to buy a bunch when they are available

The 142 is what I think I'm going to start load development with, I loaded 190 in 30-06 for back up gun for elk and I am waiting for 265 for my 33 nosler. I guess the key is to buy a bunch when they are available
Ammo seek, the long-range store, when all else fails and you just got to have them Van's deer processing but you will pay $10+ more per box than anywhere else.

We have killed several elk with the eldx bullet. If you are expecting it to perform like a bonded or mono, you will be disappointed. It is more like a berger in my opinion, the eldm is even better on elk at long range.

As I live and hunt in the west, I measure all bullets by expected performance on elk! I certainly agree that one cannot expect an ELD-X to perform like a mono.....but, to completely "come from untogether" at Creed velocities was disappointing. "If" a guaranteed, behind the shoulder shot at long distance is on the menu....it may be perfect. But, at least for our hunting......the shots can range from feet to many hundreds of yards. For most hunters, elk are not guaranteed. So, the bullet should be up to the task from muzzle to what ever range it's speed falls below expected expansion range! memtb

As I live and hunt in the west, I measure all bullets by expected performance on elk! I certainly agree that one cannot expect an ELD-X to perform like a mono.....but, to completely "come from untogether" at Creed velocities was disappointing. "If" a guaranteed, behind the shoulder shot at long distance is on the menu....it may be perfect. But, at least for our hunting......the shots can range from feet to many hundreds of yards. For most hunters, elk are not guaranteed. So, the bullet should be up to the task from muzzle to what ever range it's speed falls below expected expansion range! memtb
I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but this topic has been my number one concern for this season for my youngest son and his 6.5CM. Reason why is this; he shot his first buck last year at about 40-50 yds. Made a good shot and shoots sub half MOA all day long from the bench... and very accurate out past 500, so I have faith in his shooting.
He was shooting 143 ELD-X and we found ZERO blood from the site, not by making circles from that point all the way around the edge of the field. Later in the year, the deer was found about 160 yards away from the shot site in some thick brush. So, in a sense the bullet did it's job I guess, but with no blood to track, I'm wasn't happy.
I have worked up a load with 135gr Classic Hunter Bergers in hopes that the bullet will dump it's energy on impact as most claim Berger to do. If this doesn't turn out successfully, Barnes or Accubond will be the next step.
Anyone want to offer any input on shots less than 100yds, I'm open to suggestions; I'm trying to be a good sportsman above all, and also don't want to see a young man disappointed...
Thanks

Last edited:
You are talking to an idahoan brother and preaching to the choir - I have been a die hard berger guy forever. Tried the eldx and eldm a few years ago and have been impressed. Shots have been from 50-925 yards on elk. Performance has been really good.

My 12 yr old shot a mule deer last year at 50 yards with an eldm - there was no exit, but its legs came right out from under it - bang flop.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but this topic has been my number one concern for this season for my youngest son and his 6.5CM. Reason why is this; he shot his first buck last year at about 40-50 yds. Made a good shot and shoots sub half MOA all day long from the bench... and very accurate out past 500, so I have faith in his shooting.
He was shooting 143 ELD-X and we found ZERO blood from the site, not by making circles from that point all the way around the edge of the field. Later in the year, the deer was found about 160 yards away from the shot site in some thick brush. So, in a sense the bullet did it's job I guess, but with no blood to track, I'm wasn't happy.
I have worked up a load with 135gr Classic Hunter Bergers in hopes that the bullet will dump it's energy on impact as most claim Berger to do. If this doesn't turn out successfully, Barnes or Accubond will be the next step.
Anyone want to offer any input on shots less than 100yds, I'm open to suggestions; I'm trying to be *Rule 1 Violation*al above all, and also don't want to see a young man disappointed...
Thanks
I am not sure where you hunt, if it is back east or in the south with thick woods where you rely on a blood trail I think you need mono's or bonded bullets to ensure a pass through and a good blood trail. I hunt in idaho where it is pretty open and you can usually see where they die from a long ways away. Bergers, eldms and eldx's that come apart once they penetrate a few inches are awesome for what we do. Usually a couple steps and they are dead.

Accurate placement is way more of a concern when you look at pretty much a host of great offerings from Berger to Barnes, or several other lines of cored or mono bullets. As one that has killed pronghorn, caribou, deer and elk with Bergers, Nosler Partitions, Hornady GMX monos and a few others, the factors that improve accurate placement will trump splitting hairs on which of these kills better, IMO.

Alot of concern is placed on accuracy when it comes to a bullet but not much on the bullets effect on game or at least not written about. What is everyone's experience with let's say Berger 140 elite Hunter, Hornady 143 eldx, Nosler accubond LR on game animals?
I put ALL emphasis on bullet expansion and performance over ALL other factors when hunting.
I no longer trust Berger Elite .338 300gr bullets to expand beyond 800mtr due to a failure to expand and the bullet tumbled and didn't reach the vitals, the very next bullet performed the way it should dropping the deer. My confidence in them has gone the way of the dodo.

I really like the way Accubonds, either the normal or LR, work on game. Their ballistics aren't the best, but get the job done.
The LR works far better than most realise, if they weren't bonded, I suspect they would wind up very similar to a Berger in their mushrooms and possibly separate core from jacket. Overall, they are a very good bullet IMHO.

Cheers.

The 135 Berger's work excellent on game but they are hard on meat. If you don't mind some meat loss they are a great bullet. I have had less meat loss with ABLR than 135 classics

To the fellow who lost The deer that only went 160 yards that's a tracking issue on your part more than a bullet. I have seen high lungs shots with rifles and bows that don't leave blood trails, just happens sometimes.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.