6.5 build for 140 Bergers at 2900-3000?

6.5 SAUM, 6.5 WSM & 260 AI will get you there. Pushing a 140 pill @ 3000 fps. Will eat up a barrel reguardless the chamber. Also, the SAUM & WSM really shine in a
Long action. Allows you to hang the long VLD's, way out freeing up case capacity avoiding compressed loads.

I shot 2 seasons of PRS running a 260AI. Ran 140 amax and then 140 ELD-M at 2960 for 4 barrels. Ran 49.x great of 4831sc for most of their lives. Never had a barrel last less than 2600 rounds and two went past 3000 without loosing speed. All shot better than 3/4" before I pulled them. All we're 26" barrels so not super long either. With RL26 you can easily get 3050 or more.

Im building new rifle and wanting to shoot 6.5 140 VLDs just under 3000fps. My question is, what will give me the most barrel life at 2900 to just under 3k. I have been looking into the SAUM, WSM, PRC. I am sure there are others out there, I am wanting to stay with a short action. I an no expert but I think the answer has to do with pressure differences.

6.5x284 will do this all day. I am shooting just over with one and just under in another. you have a bunch of options on this it will definitely just come down to do you want to push something hard or down load something else or run a couple where they should be. i will be building a 260AI next, but that will be closer to 2900 than 3000. 6.5-06 will get you there improved or not.

Why is the 6.5x55 Swede ALWAYS ignored? Because reloading manuals publish for 1894 mauser actions? On a modern action the Swede is perfectly capable of these parameters. My 700 classic runs the Berger 140 VLD on 44.4gr of Viht N-160 .005 off lands at 2730fps-ish. I'm not pushing it due to the accuracy node of .284 5 shot aggregate @ 200yds zero, but I certainly could hit 3k if I really wanted to.

VLD's are incredibly sensitive to seat depth! If the VLD is your goal, choose a chambering that will give the most flexibility for seat depth AND have no issue with magazine fitment (Unless you don't care if your build turns out to be a single shot). The 6.5x55 Swede Excels at these considerations. Typically found on a long action means you can seat on the lands, or any increment off the lands and still have a quarter inch or better clearance meplate to mag well wall. All on a SAMI spec chamber.

Another vote for 6.5 Saum.. Adg has great brass and you can easy get 3500 rounds down a barrel at the speed you want. I shoot 3175 with 140 grain elite hunter at 61 grains H-1000. I have 3000 plus rounds on this gun and it shoots as good as the day I got it.. Crazy accurate cartridge.

If you want those kind of speeds with the 140 bergers it will have to be something with more compacaty than a creed. I don't have a long barrel on mine so I think I could get it faster with a longer one but I don't think I could get 3000. You should be able to get that wth the 260 AI no problem though!

Curious what barrel length you guys are running to get a 260 Ackley to 3000-3100 with a 140 and if anyone has ever tested the pressure to get to that speed?

It isn't a short action, but if you hit a wall, you might want to consider 6.5-06. Easy to get brass (30-06, 25-06, 270). I run a real mild load to 2940fps with Berger 140s. I have over 1500 rounds through it so far, my throat looks great, and my groups haven't openened up from the 0.15 I got on my initial workup.

imagejpeg_3(1).jpg
Im building new rifle and wanting to shoot 6.5 140 VLDs just under 3000fps. My question is, what will give me the most barrel life at 2900 to just under 3k. I have been looking into the SAUM, WSM, PRC. I am sure there are others out there, I am wanting to stay with a short action. I an no expert but I think the answer has to do with pressure differences.
I just built this 6.5-284 NOT gonna use BERGERS, am gonna use HORNADY 140gr AMAX's. Very ACCURATE DEADLY round on VARMINTS and DEER! TACK DRIVER on Paper too, Higher Velocity too! Only 1 TEST FIRED ROUND thru her so far. On the BENCH putting rounds together for LOAD DEVELOPEMENT. Come Spring, IT'S ON! Theosmithjr
imagejpeg_1(2).jpg
imagejpeg_1(1).jpg

Last edited:
If you to burn min powder and still get there easily, build a 260 ai in a long action and have it throated long. Mine on a short action runs into heavily compressed loads with 4831sc before I see any pressure signs. LA & long throat will get you that little bit extra that you're looking for without a real long barrel.

I have 6.5-06, 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5-284 Norma rifles. The 6.5-284 Norma is my go to choice for long range hunting. I load 140 vld to 3,072fps with RL26. Granted the barrel life is usually about 1000 rounds but as a hunting weapon I will never wear it out. My go to bullet however for game is the 130Gr. Cutting Edge MTH loaded with RL26 at 3,150FPS. All game shot with it has dropped right there. The 6.5-06 is my second choice caliber but it is a long action so I use it less. I load the 130MTH to 3,200 FPS in it as it has a greater H20 capacity. Just my 2 cents...

6.5 sst with ADG brass will get you there with H4895 with low pressure AND low charge weight in a 2.8" package. Probably 43 grains, give or take.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.