6-284 ?

screech

how fast will a 6-284 push a 55gr. bt. what length barrel is best. 26,28,30. Im sure 30 would get the most speed but is it worth it? is this to overbore for the really light 6mm bullets?

[ QUOTE ]
is this to overbore for the really light 6mm bullets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I wouldn't get a 6-284 unless it had an 8 twist to shoot the 105-115 gr bullets.

[ QUOTE ]
120 gr Wildcat bullets that are just around the corner

[/ QUOTE ]

They seem to have been hanging out around the corner for a while. Does Richard have the dies now? Are you going to order some?

9 twist is all you need for a 6-284 with 105-115 bullets. You can go with a 8 twist but make sure it is a 6 or 5 groove or you might start dusting bullets with soft jackets. You really are not going to like the 55 B-tip for long range but short range varmit hunting it will be very deadly. With a fast powder you could drive them up in the mid 4's. As for the barrel length 28 is plenty long. Mine started with a 28 and when I had the chamber re cut it is now a 27. I lost no velocity at all going from a 28 to 27.

[ QUOTE ]
how fast will a 6-284 push a 55gr. bt. What length barrel is best. 26,28,30. I'm sure 30 would get the most speed but is it worth it? is this to overbore for the really light 6mm bullets?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably in the neighborhood of 4300 to 4500 fps.

The problem is this - if you get a slow twist like 14", the rifle would NOT be good for much of anything, cuz the 55gr bullets won't hold the velocity for long range... and the 6mm-284 IS a long range cartridge.

If you want to demolish woodchucks into a red mist at short range (to 400-500 yds) then get a standard .243 or 6mm, with a slow twist barrel. Velocity with the 55gr bullets will be in the 3900fps range It'll be a lot cheaper and the barrel will last longer.

If you are building a long range rifle, then you will want to use the heavier 105gr + bullets, and they won't stabilize in a 14" twist (or a 10" either). If you get a 9' twist that will stabilize the 105s and higher weight bullets, the 55gr bullets will turn into a puff of smoke before they get 50 yards.

So you have to chose - there is no rifle that will do it all.

Do you want a lightning stick that is good to 400-500yds... then get a .243 or 6mm Rem with a slow 12" twist.

Do you want a really long range 6mm then get a fast 8" or 9" twist 6mm-284.

I guess the thing I never have understood is why lots of people want to drive those light bullets really fast for varmit work in the first place? I am shooting 105 Bergers at 3340fps on average and I know they will kill a P-dog or woodchuck just as quick at 200 yards as a 55gr going mach 6. I have turned a few jack rabbits into a ball of red at close range and I have the option to pick them off at 1200 yards with the same load. Build it to shoot the heavy VLD bullets and don't look back. You will then have your one in all rifle for long and short range.

Ok let me specify what I plan to do with the rifle. Around here the coyotes are finicky, they run and stop around 350-550 yrds. this gun will only be used on coyotes or other animals like it such as bobcats. It wont get shot more than probablly 100 times a year. i just want the meanest nastiest blow up cartridge for up to 500yrds. I also want extremelly flat shooting. let me emphasize on the flat shooting and blow ups on bullets. thanks

I finally got a new set of batteries installed in my brain and remembered who did what you want to do. - Wildcat.

Run a "show all posts" on his profile.

He wanted a 500 yard splatter gun just like you and he built it.

Ok screech now I understand. 6-284 with a 87gr V-max 3700fps+ or you can go with a 80gr Berger 3800fps+. Another combo would be a 70gr B-tip around 4000fps. If you choose the 55gr like you asked look to use Varget, R-19 or IMR-4350. If you go with a slower powder then those you will not get the speed. By the way I have shot those 55gr B-tips out of mine with a 9 twist and they were pushing 3950fps with 56gr of R-22 and they held together fine and shot very well. But a faster powder will give you a lot more velocity. R-22 was just to slow for that light of bullet because I was shooting 80gr bergers over 3800fps with it so I know for a fact mid 4's should be easy with a bullet 25gr lighter with a faster powder.

I can push the 58gr Vmax at 4200+ with my 25" 1/12 6/284. I back it off to just under 4000 though. Not impressed with the effect on chucks at 300 yards so I am going to use 70gr BT this year. I use IMR4320.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok screech now I understand. 6-284 with a 87gr V-max 3700fps+ or you can go with a 80gr Berger 3800fps+. Another combo would be a 70gr B-tip around 4000fps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, at least that is where I am going with the one I am building.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.