action for 6-284

labrador

Hey guys

I consider rebarreling my 30-06 into a 6mm-284, but what about the action. Is the 30-06 action too long for the 6mm-284, I am in doubts whether the 6mm-284 needs a short or a long action. Thanks for giving me advice on this subject.

Labrador

I have my 6-284 built on a 30/06 REM 700 action. I have no feeding problems at all. I would go with a long action for the 6-284 if you have one already.

Go with the long action. Seating bullets into the lands if needed, and feeding from a magazine should not be an issue.

By the way, which barrel length would you recommend. Would 24 inches be enough to deliver around 3300 fps with a 100 grain nosler partition bullet?

Thanks again for the advice

Labrador

I have a 28inch Hart and I was driving them at 3500fps. I would go with a 26inch barrel you will not be sorry. I would also take a look at a Broughton 5c 8 twist. With the 5c you are supposed to get more fps.

This post is not an attempt to discredit Tim North in any way as he makes very fine barrels.

Still, I ordered in a barrel of his for a customer by their request and in talking with Tim on the phone he made a pretty strong advertising push for his 5C barrels so we ordered one in 6.5mm with a 1-8 5C twist.

Tim stated that with proper powders they had been unable to loosen a primer pocket in the 264 Win Mag test barrel they had been using. They also reported much higher velocity then standard rifling with any number of rifling.

Well, I was very excited to test this new design out so when the barrel got in I fitted it, did a barrel break in and headed out to the range. This particular chambering was one that I personally had a firearm in as well, the 6.5 WSM.

Both of these were Handguns and mine wore a 1-8 3 groove Lilja.

My 15" handgun tops out at 3100 fps with the 120 gr BT so I wanted to compare this to the 16.5" Broughton 5C barrel.

Well, the claim that it is very difficult to open a primer pocket with the 5C rifling is not true. In fact it did so at 50 fps less then the Lilja 3 groove.

Again, this is not to discredit Tim in anyway, only to say that any of the top end barrel will perform in a very similiar manor and that chamber and throat design probably has more to do with top velocity then anything to do with the barrel bore when comparing top quality match barrels.

That said, the broughton and Lilja barrels both shoot extremely well accuracy wise. Both handguns will shoot in the 1" range for three shots at 300 yards at nearly identical velocities so quality of the Broughton is certainly top notch by any standard.

Just do not expect a dramatic improvement.

I guess to be honest, I was comparing to a 3 groove Lilja and compared to standard 6 groove barrels, the 5C may produce better performance.

Anyway you look at it though, if you use a broughton, you will have a very fine shooting rifle, as you would if you used a Lilja, Rock, Krieger or any other top end match barrel.

Just my experience!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.