500yds and further neck tension?

Realistically none of this is rocket science. Number one thing is concentricity of your the ID of your neck and proper die setup. You should always have your measurements of your fired brass to check against how far back your shoulder is being bumped no matter how you try to achieve that. IMO .002 is all you need to properly set shoulders back and all that is determined on how good your data is on your measurements.

You mean reopening with an expanded? Your collet die is a mandrel.
Yes, except with a FL die you squeeze the neck down, then open it back up. With the body die I am just sizing the case body without the neck, then using the collet die (mandrel) to squeeze the neck down to the mandrel, not using the mandrel to open the case neck back up after constricting it. I am working the brass in the neck once instead of two times. That is the idea anyway.

IMO, it really depends on the particular rifle/load. I have had more then a few rifles that hold sub MOA out to 1000+ yards. I rarely turn my necks finding Lapua and Norma brass to be quite consistent and compatible with my chambers. Measured run-out/SD dictates whether I use an expander or not. I have a few loads that I use an expander which produce better run-outs and SD's then without. For sure there is rarely more then mild contact of the expander with the case when I do.

Nothing against long range shooters.By the way, can a 1000 yards even be considered hunting? I always thought hunting was getting close to the quarry-that's part of the hunt. Lots of wounded game not being recovered these days because of long range attempts. Not really good in the long run for the sport of hunting . But I guess all the bubbas just gotz to have that badge of honor makes . LMAO
Who cares? Most people here do practice situational shooting from short to long ranges. REMMY700 is right thought, this is a long range hunting forum and that's what we practice so we can make ethical decisions and shots at long ranges. If you just joined to give us "bubbas" a hard time you should keep your trap shut or just leave. And yes, before your try to come back with something snappy, I can shoot offhand out to 500 yards with iron sites and have done so and made ethical kills that way as well. If you're not here to learn or support what this forum is here for then do everyone a favor and keep your trap shut. The OP asked a question pertaining to neck tensions past 500 yards and you have had nothing meaningful to contribute other than to try to poke your chest out for no reason at all.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.