500yds and further neck tension?

Only to 1000 yards? Grab some quality factory ammo and go kill stuff. Spend your time shooting in field positions and windy conditions instead of at the reloading bench.

Dang bunch of Bob Lee Swaggers on this site. I shoot with skilled shooters that dedicate all of their time to the art. I have yet to this day seen one factory loaded offering that can compete with the quality and consistency of any ammo I load even when I been drinking. Reloading gear and scopes I swear! Of all the places to skimp. Dudes be spending 5-6k on custom rifle and then post what is best budget optic for my rig! Come on. Imho when u spend that kind of money and want to really get proficient at distance especially on animals I would skimp on rifles and not reloading gear or scopes!

If the neck is properly lubed the expander ball is not an issue.
I just use case lube currently and my button/ball slips thru pretty easy. Without lube its much harder to pull thru. I just take que tip and run one time around inside neck. Seems to work fine. Been wondering if dry lube would be better? Back before using the lube I would get flyers pretty often, but since they are very rare and often me I think.

Dang bunch of Bob Lee Swaggers on this site. I shoot with skilled shooters that dedicate all of their time to the art. I have yet to this day seen one factory loaded offering that can compete with the quality and consistency of any ammo I load even when I been drinking. Reloading gear and scopes I swear! Of all the places to skimp. Dudes be spending 5-6k on custom rifle and then post what is best budget optic for my rig! Come on. Imho when u spend that kind of money and want to really get proficient at distance especially on animals I would skimp on rifles and not reloading gear or scopes!

Doesn't matter how good of ammo you can reload if you only shoot 100 rounds a year...you'll still miss the shot when the moment of truth comes.

Practice trumps a tiny bit more consistent ammo...plus I really doubt you've shot much or have much experience with factory ammo in the last decade.

Doesn't matter how good of ammo you can reload if you only shoot 100 rounds a year...you'll still miss the shot when the moment of truth comes.

Practice trumps a tiny bit more consistent ammo...plus I really doubt you've shot much or have much experience with factory ammo in the last decade.
Ha, now u know me. Have a bit of experience with factory ammo. I buy it, and take it apart and measure their charge consistency, brass weights and so on. And I keep the rest to foul my **** out after I clean. It's a disgrace for high end rifles to put that garbage in them.

Also please say u are not referring to me with that 100 round a year comment, lol that is rich. I wish that was the the case and my wife prolly does also!

Also please say u are not referring to me with that 100 round a year comment, lol that is rich. I wish that was the the case and my wife prolly does also!

No, it was just a general statement.

I think field time is much more beneficial than spending time at the reloading bench trying to get another 1/4 moa out of a rifle...for hunting, of course BR type stuff that could mean in the money or going home sad lol.

lol Can u hit a 4" target prone at 1k.
I'm curious how many of them can hit a 4" target at 200 yards off hand? No disrespect for their devotion and talents but to me you ain't a real rifleman if you can't do that. At least once in a while. The rest comes down to calculations and equipment.
That does not deserve a response. This is called Long Range Hunting not shooting at **** from 200 yds for fun. Harris and Atlas sales great bipods and we use them to avoid getting 1 out 5 lucky shot free handed just launching lead.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.