50 BMG bullet removal

jimisbell

I have several rounds of Lake City 2020 50 BMG ammo and want to pull the bullets and replace with another bullet. What is the easiest SAFEST way to pull the bullets? I dont like the idea of removing them by hammering them onto the bench with an "inertia puller" Maybe its safe and maybe not, but I dont like the idea of hammering a live 50 BMG round on a table

I have had this very model since they came out, it is what I would call decent. They work better when the neck tension isn't really high and you have lots of bullet seated out to grab. I have had several rounds (factory and hand loads) that it just will not work on, to include LC .50 BMG rounds. What I do to pull .50 BMG bullets is drill a hole in a 2x6 I have screwed onto my tabletop just big enough to fit the bullet in and then slightly work the case back and forth just enough to loosen the bullet up, then pull it. Then you can simply dump the powder and resize the case. Seems to me that whatever method you use to loosen the bullet is going to contour the neck enough to make simply reseating another bullet in it have very inconsistent neck tension. So I would resize anyways.
I do not recommend inertia pullers to anyone. A few years back I had an UltraMag case primer initiate when I smacked the blunt end onto a concrete block. Lucky for me it wasn't the first strike and I did not see the bullet and 90 sum odd grains of powder already dislodge on the previous attempt…that could have been bad!

Last edited:
I have several rounds of Lake City 2020 50 BMG ammo and want to pull the bullets and replace with another bullet. What is the easiest SAFEST way to pull the bullets? I dont like the idea of removing them by hammering them onto the bench with an "inertia puller" Maybe its safe and maybe not, but I dont like the idea of hammering a live 50 BMG round on a table
Jim
Get a "Bullet Collet Puller" that you can use in your reloading press. You can put the cartridge in a shell holder and tighten the collet on the bullet and pull out really safe and easy.
Len & Jill

Rcbs 50Bmg Bullet Pullr Collet about $70.00

Down side, you'll need a press that will fit it 1.1/2 inch.
Good luck.

1640205853954.png

The idea of banging an explosive device on a bench top just 25" from myself just doesnt seem wise......LOL
But I have created a puller for just under $12 that I like.

If you really want to go cheap and are not concerned about saving the bullets you could do what this guy did. He used rubber to protect the bullet but you could just use the flaring tool with the ridges and it would bite more.

Recent Posts