50 Allen Tactical, more work to report....

Re: 50 Allen Tactical, Initial velocity test results...

Norhman,

Did a bit of range testing and load development with the 750 gr A-Max. Accuracy wise, the rifle is amazing. At 100 yards it was consistantly playing with sub 1/2 moa three shot groups for four different groups.

Problem is that is about all I can muster without developing a severe flinch. I will say this is the most dramatic recoiling rifle I have shot. Not fun at all. At this time I am developing a new muzzle brake which should dramatically reduce the felt recoil on this rifle to comfortable levels. Right now they are far from that!!!

Performance wise, I am already happy and still have alot more performance to get out of the case. I started with Rl-22 and loaded it up until I simply could not get any more powder in the case. THis top load averaged right around 2350 fps and absolutely zero pressure signs. The pressure is so low in fact that even after 4 firings on a case, I still only have to neck size and the cases chamber like they are not even there.

I am very excited to test some quicker burning powders. I am looking at H-4350 really hard as that may be THE powder for this round, offering full pressure loads(65,000 to 68,000 psi) with 100% load density.

I predict this round will easily hit 2450 fps with the 750 gr bullet with the right powder and possibly even push 2500 fps with top end loads.

Still, just have to get the bullets over the chrony, but first for my well being, I need to machine up that new brake and get it fitted. The brake on it now is one of Shawn Carlocks DE 4 port brakes that are 1.000" in diameter. Just not enough surface area when you open them up to a 0.530" bore for much recoil reduction. Not the fault of the brake design in any way, just not the right application for this round. This is a relatively high expansion ratio round so I need alot more surface area on that brake to reduce felt recoil.

My new design will start with 2" diameter 416 stainless barrel stock. Will bore and thread it for the muzzle threads and then will machine at least four partition style ports into the bar stock. These will probably be 3/8" wide by around 0.900" tall. I will then mill the top and bottom of the brake flat to help appearance.

I have played around with the idea of angling the ports back and will look at this more as well as this would also increase the effectiveness of the brake but dramatically complicate the milling process.

Either way, there will be a hell of alot more brake on it here soon and there will be no more testing until the new brake is on the rifle!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its a good thing the Super Sniper has a good rubber pad on the eyepiece. I got racked between the eyes so hard on one of those shots it almost splade me out behind the shooting platform!!

I am not sure what I expected trying to match standard 50 BMG match performance in a 15 lb class rifle. There will be some level of recoil!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Working to correct that though.

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi Kirby i should be able to post the new prototype brake late next week for you

Cheers Bill
Australia

This must be where the 'other' guy says "cowboy up". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can see the cartoon in my mind. Kirby spread eagled on the ground lookin' up w/a silly grin on his face and +s for eyes and little hieroglyphic curse words spewing forth from his mouth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I did that one time long ago on a dove hunt with one of those **** Winchester 1200s with that 2 bit plastic stock with the spring in it. I swung too far to the left and got the dove and also got the base of my thumb against the side of my nose. Saw stars, etc and busted my butt when I went down.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Roy,

Just to give you an idea of what this little monster is like, First shot I took, had the rifle supported by ny heavy front sand bag and a rear owlear bag under the rear of the stock.

I had the bipod on the rifles front stud but it was folded up and not being used.

When the trigger broke on the first shot, the bipod hit the front of the rear back hard enough to though that 5 lb bag back so hard and fast that it landed under the grip of the A-5 stock and the muzzle fell down and hit the shooting platform.

I did not much notice this because I was sure warm red fluid would be running down my forhead but luckily it knocked me a bit stupider!!!

That was the first **** shot of the day, put 15 through it total, got touched three times on the forhead but that first one was the whooper!!

By the way, need a new front bag, the bipod frame ripped the hell out of my stitched and now its packing filler is slipping all over the place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Will wait on a new brake design!! I will admit, I ain't no cowboy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Any receiver set up to be used with the 408 CT will work. The receiver I am using is a BAT Model M 8.5" receiver with 1.55" diameter.

The Lawton M8000 would be a great choice offering a bit more weight which with this round would certainly not be a bad thing!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Why don't you try a Lead sled? Are you shooting from a bench or bi pod? I have one for load development. Put 100 lbs of shot in the slead and you have a 100 lb rifle. Works for me. Saves you from bad habits in my opion. You could borrow mine but I am in KY.
My two cents. Someone well say why this a bad idea I am sure.
T

My only prob with the lead sled is i couldnt get 100% steady on it as i could with a bi pod and rear bag. But i aint shooting anything that kicks that bad either. If i was shooting a 416 rigby or something you can bet your @$$ i would be using one of them!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts