5 shot groups 3 together and 2 fliers?

With a hunting gun... 3 shots are plenty.
Then when you get the accuracy you need..
In the temperatures your going to hunt at leave your gun outside and shoot 1 shot 3 days in a row... thats what you got...

It's more of a multi purpose rifle. I bang steel with it out to 600 or so and I hunt with it. I finally decided to stop shooting factory and work up a load for it and ran into this. I've never done more than 3 shot groups so I wasn't sure if my results were typical with the barrel warming up. But I would like to be able to do a 5 round group and get rid of the fliers if possible.
I stopped shooting a 5-shot group long time ago for hunting/occasional target shooting rifles. I have yet to have 3-shot opportunities hunting. The only time I shoot more than 3 is during load development.

Last edited:
I stopped shooting a 5-shot group long ago for hunting/occasional target shooting rifles. I have yet to have 3-shot opportunities hunting. The only time I shoot more than 3 is during load development.
You are absolutely correct sir. Only time I've needed more than three is when making drives, and at those ranges, a little thermal stringing doesn't matter.

Most likely. Try waiting longer between shots. Not certain where you live. But in this heat, barrels heat up quickly. Use a barrel cooler. Lots of options.
This ^ is the first thing I would look at. My barrel cooler is a cordless 20v Dewalt jobsite fan…and a lot of patience! I should justify getting a temperature gun thingy (can't for the life of me remember what they are called) because I do a lot of cooking on grill and griddle. I've always thought that it would be handy to have one at the range.

I do that a lot, so for hunting rifles I prefer 3 shot groups for evaluating a hunting load, in a hunting rifle. And yes sir, I really think 30 seconds is not enough ( for my 270 Win or my 270 Weatherby mag ) ) to cool. So I would suggest two things that I find helpful.
1. Let the barrel cool 1 min and 15 seconds to 1 min and 45 second between each shot depending on air temp. Use the timer on your cell phone this.
2. Segregate 20 or 25 cases by weight. For Example, at least 1/2 Grain so all the cases for the test are between 200.0 and 200.5 grains.
Two very simple things that cost nothing and may make a difference.

This ^ is the first thing I would look at. My barrel cooler is a cordless 20v Dewalt jobsite fan…and a lot of patience! I should justify getting a temperature gun thingy (can't for the life of me remember what they are called) because I do a lot of cooking on grill and griddle. I've always thought that it would be handy to have one at the range.
I/R gun (infrared) I think. That's what we call them. Probably not the correct technical term. Lol Won't tell internal temp, but give a reference.

I've been doing a load workup for my 300 win mag and I can't seem to get the fliers to go away. I found my powder node and then tried to tune the fliers out with my seating depth. I'm doing 5 shot groups and the first 3 are usually stacking on top of each other and then the next 2 are fliers. I am shooting these 5 round groups with about 30 seconds between each shot. Do yall think it's my barrel getting too hot?
What powder, brass, bullet. Was that target at 100? I assume yes. How did you arrive at your node? What twist is your barrel? Type of support used? Is this a crowned muzzle or braked muzzle? These pieces of information will help diagnose your issue. P

I've been doing a load workup for my 300 win mag and I can't seem to get the fliers to go away. I found my powder node and then tried to tune the fliers out with my seating depth. I'm doing 5 shot groups and the first 3 are usually stacking on top of each other and then the next 2 are fliers. I am shooting these 5 round groups with about 30 seconds between each shot. Do yall think it's my barrel getting too hot?
Get a barrel cooler and use it after your 3rd shot and see if that will fix it but my guess it is getting to hot.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 3 shot groups as long as you are getting repeatable results with 3,why in the hell do you need to shoot 5.I am more concerned about how well it shoots the first cold bore shot,that's the one that counts the most in a hunting situation.Smaller cartridges,burning small powder charges will allow you to shoot more rounds before getting too hot.When you are shooting larger case cartridges like the 300 Win Mag,that barrel is getting hot after 3 rounds.It's not doing your barrel any good either if your shooting your barrel while it's hot.Cold weather you can get away with a few more rounds before it gets too hot,but during warmer weather,when it's hot,it's hot.I like to take several rifles with me when I go to the range.I shoot 3 rounds,move on to the next rifle.When the weather gets really warm,they don't even cool down much during the rotation.

I found my powder node and then tried to tune the fliers out with my seating depth.

If it was in the right node you wouldn't have fliers.....you use seating depth to tighten stuff up.

Just based on the shape of this one group and barring the five shots is to many theories.....I'd venture to guess you aren't in the node and it's vertical stringing. This load will have stupid vertical at long range. Again this is me guessing not knowing the powder charge or velocity numbers. If I had to guess I'd say the powder charge is light.

I will be the dissenting opinion here. You are testing loads for a hunting rifle so I am going to disagree with blowing air up the bore, waiting 2 to 5 minutes between shots, wiping the barrel with a wet rag etc. Fire three round groups and shoot them quick. Test at 300, 400, 500 etc out to your max hunting range.

Test cold bore first shot with a fouled barrel at your normal hunting temperature by firing a test shot over 3 days, or wait an hour between cold bore shots so you aren't having to travel to the range 3 times. If you can, try the cold bore at 300 yards rather than 100. Sight the gun to that cold bore POI.

You are trying to develop a hunting load, so shoot it like it is hunting conditions. It makes ZERO difference what kind of group you get waiting ten minutes between shots. Though the first shot is always the most important, if it takes more than one shot, the animal isn't waiting around for your barrel to cool.

Recent Posts