5 Bucks Down Today PICS

Tikkamike

Well the long awaited day of our annual (when we draw) newton hunting trip. My mom, dad, sister, grandpa and myself all had a buck tag. First buck I spotted was better than every buck we shot last year so my sister shot it making a nice shoulder shot with my 338 Lapua. It is about a 14 inch goat. Next my mom shot hers with her model 7 243 nice buck for the area about 12-13" Then we hit a dry spell for a couple hours. Then we spotted a group of about 6 smaller bucks and passed on those only to find a bigger buck standing off a quarter mile from the smaller bucks. so my grandpa who is 70 years old put one in its neck at about 200 yards with his 1903 30-06 and a 4 power weaver scope. This was all before noon. Then about 1 my dad shot his with his 300 wby it was getting ready to rain pretty hard it looked like so he decided to just shoot it. Last it was me. I was starting to regret letting my sister take the first shot because her goat was looking bigger and bigger all the time. I passed on a few smaller ones and one freak I finally decided I would just shoot the next decent 12-13 inch goat we say. Come over a hill and there were some antelope I stopped to glass and I could tell there was one that was significantly better than the rest so I got out Big Green (338 Lapua) and one of the bigger bucks just takes off running I assume its the biggest so I take off after him. I stop to glass the remaining bucks one last time before I go over the hill and decide that I think the big buck is still with them. He was only about 200 yards away but that was ok i just wanted to get one so we could call it a day.He ended up being pretty good. I have not scored him yet but i cant fit my hands around his bases. they measure just unjder 7 inches around one side is 14.5 inches the other side is 15. Here are some Pics! I just scored him he scores 81 2/8 Gross! By far my best buck. Doesnt make the book but im very happy with him

My Sister
IMG_20101009_091532.jpg

My Mom
IMG_20101009_104949.jpg

Grandpa
IMG_20101009_113106.jpg

Dad
IMG_20101009_130846.jpg

Me
IMG_20101009_141414.jpg

Last edited:
Your buck more than makes the SCI book. One thing I like about them is they give the animal credit for every inch they grow. No net scores, no gross scores. Just measure and add.

Awesome goat Mike. I like the whole family freezer filler day idea. Way cool.
One of my cousins wants me to ask if he can date your sister........ he thought a girl who could shoot an antelope with a 338 Lapua was something he may need to persue:D.
Congrats to all.
P.S. I showed him the pic of you and your dad, and reminded him thats who he'd answer to if he made her mad, and also reminded him that she just smoked a goat with a lapua, but he told me to ask anyway...... hahahahahaha.

You've got an awesome family there man; I'm turning green here. That's the sort of family outting that gives me chills... I bet you were eatin' really good after all the workin' was done, too!

Thanks a lot for posting. Great pics and very nice goats.

Congratulations to the whole family. Me and my son drew 83 tags that opened Saturday. My son got a 75 5/8 buck Saturday morning. I am still looking for a good one. Do you know 83? Any help appreciated.

Man that's an awesome day afield. I hope you got a group photo of your family with all of the bucks. That feat won't happen many times.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.