5.56 choice for 1:7 twist

556shooter

I have always thought the heaviest round I can shoot is going to be the best round to use out of my 1:7 twist ar15's but finding the 69gr seems to be the most accurate at 100yds or 500yds.
Blackhills or fgmm ammo. Why then is the militarys choice for sharp shooters the mk262 77gr?

every rifle is different. same twist, different barrel, some of my rifles like 77's, some like 69's. Some like varget, some like cfe223, some like H335. You never know until you try.

morning, the military takes bids on ammo. whoever is cheapest and politicially correct gets the bid. I reload for all 3 of my 223's. 2 AR's. barnes 53gr. flat base
in my rem.sps bolt gun, new technologies 55gr. bullets in my AR's and
77gr bergers in my custom 22-250AI. if not reloading Black Hills
is very good ammo. justme gbot tum

My AR-15 has a 1-7" twist. I found that it shoots 60gr Remington HP 223 the most accurately. The caveat being, it's A2 style open sights and I'm shooting prone across a windy canyon at a paper target stapled to a pine tree. That being said, it was shooting about 2" at 230y.
My Ruger American Ranch had a 1-8 twist barrel. It's favorite load was milsurp M193 55gr ball. It would shoot 1/2MOA all day long with that ammo. The loosest groups I ever shot out of that rifle were Hornady Superformance 223 53gr V-Max. Those I think were 2.5MOA. But that was a couple years ago, and I don't remember exactly.

I always buy 1-8 twist barrels they will stabilize 75-77 bullets no problem no matter the barrel length, which are the heaviest bullets that can be magazine length loaded. 223 can't be loaded hot enough to get even very lite bullets 35gr to come apart so really there is no downside to going with the 1-7 twist in 223 and you can shoot any bullet weight. I do not find that the fast twist barrels suffer from poor accuracy with lite bullets at all. I suspect that matching twist to heaviest bullets your wanting to shoot for the best accuracy is a bit of a benchrest fairytale for most of us. There may or may not be anything to this benchrest fairytale but with my equipment I cannot put it into quantitive terms. I normally shoot 75's for longrange but I get superb accuracy out those same guns with 50-55gr bullets the drawback is they start getting blown around by the wind great deal much past 400yds.

The military changed over to a round that has a more environmentally friendly materials, the center penetrator core is copper, it also works better with new non M4 style weapon systems. M4 is on the way out with the Army and USMC at least it already is for some units.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.