1:7 twist 5.56 ?

Troutslayer2

I'm thinking about picking up my first AR and the one I'm looking at has a 1:7 twist barrel. What's the lightest bullet I should be shooting out of it? If I want to buy some factory loads to run through, and reload them later, what manufacturer should I be looking at for quality brass?

Lightest bullet 35gr

Brass make sure to get it swagged

223 556 Military Brass Lake City

223 can't push a modern bullet fast enough to get them to come apart I've shot 35gr vmax out of mine no problem they are not my go to bullet for anything but I've played with them some. I shoot a lot of the 50gr or 55gr z-max/a-max when I catch them in stock and for long range I shoot a lot of the 75 bthp match bullets I've used the 68-69gr bullets before and they shot very well also just not as well as the 75gr at the ranges I often shoot.

I'm thinking about picking up my first AR and the one I'm looking at has a 1:7 twist barrel. What's the lightest bullet I should be shooting out of it? If I want to buy some factory loads to run through, and reload them later, what manufacturer should I be looking at for quality brass?

I hope that you did not buy it! A 1:7 barrel. My first AR was 1:7 20 inch and I questioned the twist when I bought it and sure enough 55 gr were flying through the paper sideways at 100 yards. I had to buy expensive 75 grain match bullets to use it. I was so ****ed about the twist I ended up rebarreling to 1:9 20 inch.

If you are going to reload 55 gr bulk bullets can be bought for as low as 8 cents each when you buy by the 1000's once fired brass is also cheap when you buy by 1000.

https://www.diamondkbrass.com/.223-5.56-Brass.html

You can get away with 1:7 in 16 inch barrels because the velocity is so low with 55 gr. You are better off buying 1:8 or 1:9 and going with 20 inch barrels for the free extra velocity

I've shot a fair amount of 53gr Vmax through a 20" 1:7 twist without any issues. Can't say that I've shot anything smaller than that though.

The most popular twist rate with the match shooters Is the 1 in 8. They appear to shoot all .223 bullets well even the 90 grain match kings.

I looked at the 1 in 7 and even the 1 in 6 twist. but was advised to go to the 1 in 8 for best all around performance. I would also look at the Wylde chamber so you can shoot both the .223 rem and the 5.56 Nato ammo.

J E CUSTOM

I hope that you did not buy it! A 1:7 barrel. My first AR was 1:7 20 inch and I questioned the twist when I bought it and sure enough 55 gr were flying through the paper sideways at 100 yards. I had to buy expensive 75 grain match bullets to use it. I was so ****ed about the twist I ended up rebarreling to 1:9 20 inch.

If you are going to reload 55 gr bulk bullets can be bought for as low as 8 cents each when you buy by the 1000's once fired brass is also cheap when you buy by 1000.

https://www.diamondkbrass.com/.223-5.56-Brass.html

You can get away with 1:7 in 16 inch barrels because the velocity is so low with 55 gr. You are better off buying 1:8 or 1:9 and going with 20 inch barrels for the free extra velocity

Back in the USMC we shot a whole lot of 55gr M193 through the 1/7 M16A2. No problems.

I have 1/7 on a couple of AR's, a 16" carbine, and 20" rifle. Both work fine with everything I've shot through them. 40gr VMax on the light end, and 90gr Sierra on the heavy end.

Shane

While there may be such a thing as over stabilizing, you won't see side ways impacts. You may see your groups open up a little.
I shoot 55s in a 20" 1-7 just fine, sub Moa..

Back in the USMC we shot a whole lot of 55gr M193 through the 1/7 M16A2. No problems.

I have 1/7 on a couple of AR's, a 16" carbine, and 20" rifle. Both work fine with everything I've shot through them. 40gr VMax on the light end, and 90gr Sierra on the heavy end.

Shane

^^^^^^
This

If a AR had the speed of say 22-243 wildcat then the light bullets might very well spin into dust leaving the barrel when pushed very fast. It doesn't however have the case capacity to accomplish this. Over stabilizing a bullet with a to fast of twist would never cause it to tumble there must of been something very bad wrong with a 1-7 twist AR barrel that caused 55gr bullets to tumble like maybe no rifling at all. lightbulb

I went with 7 in my 18" so I could shoot 90smks, I have shot plenty of 55gr fmjs with no issues. Lightest was 45gr, but those were Barnes solids.

I bet that a 1-7 twist would amplify any unbalance in a poorly constructed (ball) ammunition causing sideways hits.

Good luck

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.