AR-15 with 1/12 twist barrel

Rdsii64;
I really appreciate your reply. I had decided the 53g Vmax was the bullet to get. Your reply confirms my choice. You have me wondering about the N150. I so far have not found any loading info on N150 but is it not a slower burning powder designed for heavier bullets?
I read your bio and want to first off say thanks for your service. I truly admire what you have accomplished.
I have a 25/270wsm wildcat that loves Retumbo and with that powder is deadly accurate. Now the bullet is a 110 grain bullet though not 53 grains but It truly will shoot better than I can. So when you mentioned N150 it got me thinking and I had to ask you for more info.
I appreciate your sharing your knowledge.
Thanks
Dave

Dave,

Not to butt in here, but yes, the N150 is a bit slow for this bullet weight. Good powder, but really better suited to 308s, 30/06s, and so on. N140 works well for the heavier bullets in a 223, and N133 or N135 would be even better suited to the 50-55 grain bullets. Should give you better velocities there, but the N150 would certianly keep you from having pressure problems. Just can't get enough in the case to create a high pressure load.

You can access all of our reloading data on our website, www.lapua.com, under the reloading heading.

Kevin:
Yes I was looking at your site and trying to see what you all thought.
Thanks for the help and your help is always appreciated.
Dave

Kevin:
If a person did load N150 what velocity would it generate using a 53gn bullet? Would it throw a fireball of unused powder? Just wondering?
Thanks
Dave

Dave,

Running this combination on QuickLoad shows a very poor percentage of the powder being burned with the 53 grain/N150 combination, probably around 90%, depending on a number of factors. This, incidentally doesn't equate to muzzle flash, as that's almost never actually unburned powder that you're seeing. Muzzle flash is most often caused by a re-ignition of the powder gases as they exit the muzzle. Even thought the powder is completely burned, the powder gases themselves remain combustable. Upon exiting the muzzle, the sudden addition of a new source of oxygen creates what amounts to a secondary explosion, which we see and hear as excessive muzzle flash. Not unburned powder at all, in most cases.

Rdsii64;
I really appreciate your reply. I had decided the 53g Vmax was the bullet to get. Your reply confirms my choice. You have me wondering about the N150. I so far have not found any loading info on N150 but is it not a slower burning powder designed for heavier bullets?
I read your bio and want to first off say thanks for your service. I truly admire what you have accomplished.
I have a 25/270wsm wildcat that loves Retumbo and with that powder is deadly accurate. Now the bullet is a 110 grain bullet though not 53 grains but It truly will shoot better than I can. So when you mentioned N150 it got me thinking and I had to ask you for more info.
I appreciate your sharing your knowledge.
Thanks
Dave

I made mistake I ment to say N133

After returning to this thread I have realized that I made a gross mistake in recommending a powder to a fellow shooter. I meant to recommend N133, my goto powder for both .223 rifles. 26 grains of N133 is a miracle in my 12 twist bolt gun.

N150 IS WAY TO SLOW FOR A 53 GRAIN BULLET.

Just goes to show you that you need to pay attention to what you read on line.

Dave,

Running this combination on QuickLoad shows a very poor percentage of the powder being burned with the 53 grain/N150 combination, probably around 90%, depending on a number of factors. This, incidentally doesn't equate to muzzle flash, as that's almost never actually unburned powder that you're seeing. Muzzle flash is most often caused by a re-ignition of the powder gases as they exit the muzzle. Even thought the powder is completely burned, the powder gases themselves remain combustable. Upon exiting the muzzle, the sudden addition of a new source of oxygen creates what amounts to a secondary explosion, which we see and hear as excessive muzzle flash. Not unburned powder at all, in most cases.
Yep I made a really bad typo. I meant N133.

N133 will push a 53 grain vmax close to 3300 FPS in a 20" barrel( mine anyway) in My 24 inch bolt gun I'm getting almost 3500 with the same load. I should use the review post button before I press submit.

rdsii64:
I appreciate your corrected information. I am convinced that your right about hte N133. I am sorry I did not see your reply sooner. and I appreciate your trying to correct it. Say have you had any exposure to TAC or IMR 82208 XBR?
Thanks
Dave

rdsii64,

Hey, happens to all of us! On the bright side, your typo couldn't have gotten anyone into trouble, and would have just resulted in very slow, low-pressure loads. I had one of my guys in the range made the mistake of inadvertantly substituting Winchester Action Pistol (WAP) for what he assumed to be Winchester Magnum Rifle (WMR) in a Model 70 in 270 Win once. That's the kind of mistake you only make once. The pic of what was left is shown in the Sierra 4th or 5th Edition manuals.

The N133 is a great choice for this range of bullet weights.

rdsii64;
On yours and Kevins recomendation I ordered the Hornady 53gn Vmax and N133. It sounds like the best of all I have considered. I had thought W748 but n133 sounds better.
Thanks for all your input and Kevins too.
Sincerely
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts