Heavy bullets for 5.56.

clemens

Purchased a AR in 5.56/223. 1-9 twist wanting start it using heavy for weight bullets 70-72gr bullets I know rob moat of these are in steel cases ammo which is fine just curious which ones seem to be more consistent for factory ammo. Also who makes good reloadable brass in 5.56?

Everyone make 223 brass. Lapua and Norma are what I use a lot of. I'd have probably bought a 1 in 8t or faster barrel for the heavier bullets. I load a lot of 77 grain sierra matchkings on top of varget.

I think it's pretty hard to beat federal gold metal match 223 ammo in 69 or 77 grain bullets in factory rounds.

Mach 1 is correct. You might be able to run 75-77gr bullets with a 1-9 twist I have two 1-9 one gun with 20" will stabilize them and the 16" will not. I would think you could get the 69-70gr to stabilize no problem. I shoot thousands of the 75gr Hornady match over IMR 8208 XBR powder. I like Lake City brass I buy it by the thousand processed with the primer pockets swedged to remove the military primer crimp.
223 Rem and 5.56 NATO are the same brass technically 5.56 guns can be loaded to a higher pressure in my experience that however is academic BS. I have yet to see a confirmed 223 Rem gun blowing up because of a 5.56 NATO round was used.

https://brassbombers.com/223-556_c2.htm

Bought the rifle used, it came with 1-9 I believe barrel is 22-24". Just looking for something to start with. My first AR and all. Do plan on reloading just wanting to start with factory rounds in the cheap yet fairly accurate variety (if that does exist).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts