1:7 twist 5.56 ?

While there may be such a thing as over stabilizing, you won't see side ways impacts. You may see your groups open up a little.

I should have taken some pictures of the 55 fmj 3240 fps chronoed. At 100 yards the paper was splattered with bullets going at odd angles through the paper. So I down loaded them to sub 2880 fps which is typical of top velocities out of a 16 inch and it then could group. these were just bulk bullets from midshouth shooters supply and maybe they were also defective

I then went to 62 gr and if I kept them going slow enough everything was fine. Once i loaded 75 match bullets it worked OKay.

I just threw the barrel away and now I only use quality SS and coated match grade barrels all 1:9 in 20 and 24 inch and some 1:8 in 18 inch.

don't ever say that you won't see odd angle impacts. You should see high speed photogaphy of bullets that right out of the barrel have big angles, but as they slow down over distance they are flying true.

^^^^^^
This

If a AR had the speed of say 22-243 wildcat then the light bullets might very well spin into dust leaving the barrel when pushed very fast. It doesn't however have the case capacity to accomplish this. Over stabilizing a bullet with a to fast of twist would never cause it to tumble there must of been something very bad wrong with a 1-7 twist AR barrel that caused 55gr bullets to tumble like maybe no rifling at all. lightbulb

actually the 20 inch barrel was a chrome lined from palmeto state. Maybe it was defective

If your barrel was doing that it wasn't from over stabilization. Maybe from being a pile of junk, but not too fast a twist.

I should have taken some pictures of the 55 fmj 3240 fps chronoed. At 100 yards the paper was splattered with bullets going at odd angles through the paper. So I down loaded them to sub 2880 fps which is typical of top velocities out of a 16 inch and it then could group. these were just bulk bullets from midshouth shooters supply and maybe they were also defective

I then went to 62 gr and if I kept them going slow enough everything was fine. Once i loaded 75 match bullets it worked OKay.

I just threw the barrel away and now I only use quality SS and coated match grade barrels all 1:9 in 20 and 24 inch and some 1:8 in 18 inch.

don't ever say that you won't see odd angle impacts. You should see high speed photogaphy of bullets that right out of the barrel have big angles, but as they slow down over distance they are flying true.
The "big angles" you are talking about are from certain propellants have higher muzzle exit pressures. That can cause bullet upset right out of the muzzle. It has nothing to do with over stabilization... I have never seen my father in laws 1-8 twist 22-250 cause sideways impacts with 55 grain bullets at 3900 fps..

I shot a 22-284 for many years with a 1-7 tube and it would fire a 55 gr pretty fast. Never saw em go tumbling. Did see them turn into dust pretty regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.