460 smith&wesson

Discussion in 'Specialty Handgun Hunting' started by TXAoudadKlr, Jun 30, 2013.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

Voretx isn't a bad scope, I have a couple Vipers from the early days. I lean toward Swarovski now. Theit bino's sold me on glass quality.

2. Reloder28

Reloder28 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I currently own/hunt with:
    45 Super in a 1911
    45 LC Ruger 7.5” Hunter
    454 Casull Model 83 Freedom Arms 7.5”
    460 S&W Performance Center XVR 7.5”
    480 Ruger Blackhawk 6.5”

Really like them all. Can’t seem to get enough of the hand-cannons. I run 250 XTP’s in the 45 LC at 1200 fps. Plenty fast for decisive terminal performance. Really love the 460. I don’t load it hot, no need for that. A 250 at 1500 is plenty fast.

Of course, the 1911 45 Super carries very nicely. I run 200’s @ 1285.

3. SidecarFlip

be using my 460 for Michigan deer in the fall. It had to go back to the mothership last year for some issues, but all is good now. Hard to beat S&W service. I don't load hot either. Mild charge of Lil Gun.

4. Reloder28

Reloder28 Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Same with me SideCar. Sent mine back immediately due to a lousy trigger sear engagement. Came back baby booty smooth. It's all good now.

5. SidecarFlip

I had a couple issues actually, was shooting to the right consistently and was exhibiting a sporadic no ignition issue. Sent it back with the scope mounted (25 year old Burris LOE glass pistol scope) and they installed a new tube and basically gutted the frame and started over and they shot it quite a bit as well. reset the forcing cone to cylinder gap as well. Different gun that when it went. What amazed me was the trigger pull. The trigger is lighter than my dad's reworked 44RM. It's sweet now. I was surprised that didn't scrap it and do a reissue with my serial number but they didn't. Only beef I have is they screwed up the knurl a bit on the cylinder rod but I can live with that. I have it sighted in at 100 yards, what a fun gun to shoot, glad I bought it. So are my shooting companions, they like to shoot it too. Too bad it's insanely loud but I wear Walkers Game Ears so not too bad really. When I tell people it's zeroed at 100 yards, they look at me like I'm nuts because it's a wheelgun. I tell them it's a short barreled rifle.

Not for everyone but suits me just fine plus the straightwall case is legal here in Southern Michigan and Indiana for deer now.

6. jbs2014

jbs2014 Well-Known Member

I have not had the opportunity to hunt with mine as of yet. But next trip up to Tuscon I’m taking it with me in case I see a coyote on the backroads I take. But I have not had a single issue with the weapon. Functions very well. The four die set hornady makes for it has no issues.

Mine seems to give the most accuracy with .454 cassul ammo I run through it. Dirties up the cylinders a bit more but it groups well